How do you like your Ramen?

graigdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My friends and I got into a really deep conversation on how we like our Ramen soup. When I was growing up I thought there was only one way to fix it and eat it. Keep the noodles long and drain half the water so that it tastes good.

But it was pointed out to me there are other ways.

Some people crunch up the noodles, some keep them long

Some people drain all the water, some people use all the water.

All right, Mr. Ohio-man.....I've never heard of it!! But you're totally making me hungry at the moment.

What kind of soup is this (crunching up the noodles?)? :scratch: What am I missing?

Are you talking about, Ichiban noodles? Comes in a small block of noddles with a flavor packet in a plastic wrap?

If that's what you mean...It seems that different people call it lots of different things. I call them noodles and hate it when people call it soup. I agree though, there are lots of different ways to make it. I have a very large coffee mug here at work that I use to make it. I crush it up and put in hot water from the coffee maker...then microwave for only 30 seconds. I add some more water and let it sit for a few minutes.

Or are you talking about some sort of Cup-a-soup?

are you kidding me? :shock: this isnt just an Ohio thing. This is a world wide college student, poor person staple food. You can buy these things for $0.20 a package. Its just dried noodles and a packet of boulion. They cook really fast to.

RAMYUN-BAG1-MARU-CHICKEN-2.gif

I have never seen that brand before. Around here there are a few oriental brands but I usually get "Mr. Noodle" or the No-Name brand from Superstore.

I always thought the universal name was Itchiban.

What I don't like about some of the noodle brands is that sometimes you get different flavor packs in the same brand. One time you get a pack that has the words "Beef Flavor" all over it...then next week you get ones with pictures of cows. It's disappointing when you buy a whole case of them to find that they all have the flavor packs that you don't like.

ramen noodles'r big here in the north east us. i crunch mine up before i open the bag. bring to boil, drain off half water, add flavoring in packet, then add any or all of the following:

garlic granules
onion powder
celery salt
basil
oregano
tabasco sauce
thyme
rosemary
other various spices on the lazy susan, too numerous to go into
crackers, any sort will do...

Damn, someone come cook for me.... ya'll are making my mouth water.

Graig, love, I didn't mean to imply I thought it was just an "Ohio" thing, as much as possibly a regional thing. I don't recognize the brand, but I'm sure there is something similar down here.

Typically these kinds of packaged things are loaded with sodium. Is this one superior because it's not? I'm curious now.

The stamp costs more than the ramen.

:lmao: I believe you!!! You're sweet, too, but I'm gonna pass, now that I've got a better handle on what it is. I actually love stuff like that, but it's nothing I can get away with making at home. I've spoiled them with the stuff I make from scratch. :wink:

you've got to break up the noodle block so that it cooks easier...then when its done cooking you drain all the water and pour in some teryiakki sauce...mmm its so good. its a staple of college dorm food.

I've always preferred to just eat the noodles, without really making it soup. Of course, If you're gonna do that you have to only use part of the seasoning, or else it's way too strong. By the way Graig, I knew exactly what you meant.

I also learned to love 'em in college. Crush the noodles, keep all the water, eat with crackers if you could afford to buy crackers!

I still eat them. Chicken flavor is best, but the beef flavor is OK, also.

I still eat them. Chicken flavor is best, but the beef flavor is OK, also.

No way, Chicken and Mushroom is the best flavor ever. (Chicken and beef are acceptable with a little bit of fire sauce from taco bell)

Most reactions

Back