How do you meter for flash if you dont have a flash meter?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
or are there less expensive models to use? Like old versions with less features? I can NOT spend 200 bucks right now but I'd really like to try some of the off camera flash I saw from the lasolite tutorials.

Do you just eye ball it off the back of your lcd? with your highlights and histogram?

any tips appreciated.

I am in the same boat as you and am just starting to get into using OCF. After some research and practice it ended up not being as complicated or crazy as I thought. I think you can eyeball it fairly easily though I am sure we haven't been getting amazing results yet. Some trial and error and practice and you will start getting a better feeling for things. Good luck!

Strobist: Guide Number: Your Free Flash Meter

That will usually get you pretty close.

The guide numbers in my flash manual (SB-600) were all for ISO100 and the lowest I can set my camera is ISO200, so what I did was convert the whole grid to ISO200 (by multiplying all the values by 1.4) and printing myself up a little cheat sheet that I keep in the camera bag. So I just figure out what f/stop I want to be at, how far the flash is from the subject, multiply those numbers, multiply that by 1.5 it if I'm using a shoot-through umbrella or bouncing it, and find that number on the chart. That math is all basic enough to do in my head, and a couple test shots later, I'm dialed in.

After a while it starts to get easier to come up with a best-guess without even looking at the chart though.

Basic math to the rescue! :thumbup: ;)

GN = distance × f-number

A little basic algebra lets you solve for any of the 3 parameters.

Life is a math word problem.

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-600.pdf

page 35

ok I am reading the manual about guide number and settings but I am so confused.

If anyone could help me out...

Say I have a subject 15 feet from the flash. I want to use F4, and ISO 200.
I see where it says to find the guild number, but I am just confused on what to do and why??

If I can not do i-ttl with the trigger that I have, I need to put the camera in manual mode.
So then, what?
I just don't get it.

You can work w/ Guide numbers but lucky w/ digital you can also take a test shot, and readjust.
On average shoot, when I'm using both lights, since I know what they can do already, my ocf is sb800 at 1/4 power on iso 400.

Well, knowing how to use the guide numbers will at least reduce the number of test shots you have to do.

I wouldn't want to be standing there in front of clients going "Hold on ... I just have to do a couple more test shots..."

One you get it dialed in, when you shoot next time with a similar setup, you pretty much know where to start, and maybe 2 or 3 test shots is all you need.

You can use guess work ,but once you have it set tie a piece of string to your flash and stretch it out to your models nose tie a knot, now you can move your flash up down where ever you want as long as the knot touches the models nose the exposure should be ok (in a studio)

Well, knowing how to use the guide numbers will at least reduce the number of test shots you have to do.
Its about experience, thats why have to practice practice practice.
I've never used guide number.

I wouldn't want to be standing there in front of clients going "Hold on ... I just have to do a couple more test shots..."
Back in film, OCF was about the same power as on-camera and 1/3 way b/n on-camera and subject. 160 asa 220 film at 1/125 & f/8.

Today w/ digital, On-camera in ttl and ocf at 1/4 power(if ISO 400, and 1/8 if ISO 800) 30-45degrees cam right/left and about 1/3 b/n camera and subject. All it'll do is add dimensionality and give me a ratio.

Your flash has a guide number of 138 at ISO200, full power. To get the f/stop, you divide the guide number by the distance in feet. So 138/15 = 9.2 . This means that if your flash was 15 ft. away from your subject you'd need an f/stop of f/9. However, if you want to shoot at f/4, then you divide the guide number by the f/stop to get the distance. So 138/4 give you a distance of 34.5 ft. This means that to shoot at f/4, full power, head directed at subject, your flash should be at a distance of 34.5 ft.

Most reactions

Back