How do you organize your photos?

slackercruster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you organize your photos?

Folder hierarchy:

Buck's Photos > Year > Date - Event (Example: "20120407 - Gracie Easter")> RAW, TIF, PRINT, JPG Web, etc., as needed.

Folder hierarchy:j

Buck's Photos > Year > Date - Event (Example: "20120407 - Gracie Easter")> RAW, TIF, PRINT, JPG Web, etc., as needed.

So for the same event you have different folders for the RAW and JPEG's?

What does print folder signify? Are they duplicate images from the other folders to print?

Folder hierarchy:j

So for the same event you have different folders for the RAW and JPEG's?
Yes. Actually, I keep the RAW files in the Event folder, and the other file types and specific usage folders under that.

What does print folder signify? Are they duplicate images from the other folders to print?
Various print sizes of images from that shoot/event require specific cropping, dimensional sizing and sharpening work, and the resultant files go into that folder. When I need to re-print for a client, they're easy to find and use.

Typically, the JPG folder just holds images ready for display/posting on the web or tablet, again cropped, sized and sharpened specifically for that purpose.

Wow...your organized!!

I organize them by date. If I shoot two completely different things on the same day, I'll have a folder for each. I'll also have a folder for each camera if I use more than one.

Tomorrow's going to be an organizational nightmare. I'm shooting Barenaked Ladies, Blues Traveller, Big Head Todd & The Monsters and Cracker. I'll be using two bodies, and will also have my G12 for candid, backstage stuff. Each band will get a folder under the date, and then each band folder will have three camera folders. Okay, not really a nightmare, but a lot of folders.

I may try separating the RAW images from the JPEGS.

Hey, can't have enough folders...

I organize them by date. If I shoot two completely different things on the same day, I'll have a folder for each. I'll also have a folder for each camera if I use more than one.

Tomorrow's going to be an organizational nightmare. I'm shooting Barenaked Ladies, Blues Traveller, Big Head Todd & The Monsters and Cracker. I'll be using two bodies, and will also have my G12 for candid, backstage stuff. Each band will get a folder under the date, and then each band folder will have three camera folders. Okay, not really a nightmare, but a lot of folders.

I may try separating the RAW images from the JPEGS.

Hey, can't have enough folders...

Why have the different cameras in different folders? Why not combine all the same subjects and not worry about the cams?

Because different camera models produce images that require different post processing.

That's a big part of why Adobe has to reverse engineer the Raw file produced by every new camera that gets released.

I really need to work on organization now. I import through Lightroom so they are dated but I need to work on a better system now to sort my RAWs as well as my edits. That's a terrifying job....

All files are stored on disk in Photos\Year\Month.

All of my real organization is done in Lightroom via a series of keyword hierarchies (models, shoots, events, location, etc).

Since a photo can only live in one spot on disk but can have unlimited LR keywords assigned to it, I find it this approach far easier to manage (For example I can see every photo I've ever taken of any given model with a single click). Steve5D above is going to create more folders from his concert shoot than I'm going to have for all of 2012. :) I just checked and my entire image library consists of a grand total of 131 folders. To be honest I could move my entire image library into a single folder and wouldn't affect my organization one bit. Folders are completely irrelevant to me. I take that back, I wouldn't be able to get below 2 folders; I import to my PC and then I archive to my server once I'm finished editing. But you get the point. :)

Buckster said:
Folder hierarchy:

Pretty much the same as buckster, but I put my name infront sadamson-2012-0727-event-sequence number. For my own personal folders for lightroom it's a year folder inside subfolders dated with event and subfolders Raw, Jpg in there. For wedding clients I use Raw/Tiff and Jpg folders but for my own personal images I just have a raw/tiff folder as I print from those files I don't save any jpg files I create for the web waste of space.

www.sandraadamson.com www.sandraadamson.blogspot.com

Same as Buckster here.

I dont use any other software yet but the one coming with my camera, though.

Mine are ordered by date shot using the YYYY_MM_DD folder naming. Processed JPEGs are in the same folder as the RAWs and are renamed and tagged in Lightroom while processing.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Same as Buckster. I find it the easiest way to organize. Plus it's easy to sort since the dates keep things organized.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back