How do you really know when it's time to say goodbye?

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first and only dslr is an olympus e520 with ZD 12-60mm lens. I've been using it for almost 6 year now and I'm really tired. My colleague bought the camera for me, because at that time I didn't know anything about photography and he does. It was good to me at first, when I was learning some basics, but now only I can think of it is how restraining it is for me. But at the other hand I keep hearing the voice in my head: It is not the camera, it is the photographer... omg, love hate relationship.
The thing that bugs me the most is low light issues (I don't use a flash). It produces a lot of noise f.e and I just can't edit my photos the way I want to. I missed out some great moments because my camera is not good in low light. I get lots of visible noise if the light is not at "its best".

I decided what I want my next equipment to be but I need a few months more to be able to buy it.
What was the biggest issue with your ex equipment and deciding point when you realize that you must have something else?
Besides a gear lust :)

For low light condition, there is a possibility that additional equipments may help such as flash and/or faster lens. However, if you do not want to invest more money on the current system, switching may not be an bad idea.

Seriously, if you have the extra money , it is nothing wrong to be a gear lust. If that will make you happy, why not. Life is short.

After a long and detailed research, a long and detailed thinking and trying some other equipment I decided to switch. I don't have extra money but I started to save seriously and in a few months I'll have something I'll be happy with a long time ahead.

My first DSLR was Sony a300 a very nice camera for its time but few years leter technology moved on and the low light performance of it was not all that good, also I wanted to get a new toy :)

BTW what camera are you getting ?

I'll go big now. 5dmk3. Not sure about the first lens though...
I could afford a cheaper thing right now but l'm thinking that it will serve me for a long time ahead and if l could wait this much to buy a new gear then l can wait some more to buy what l really want. Have problems with my mobile phone...sorry, can't finish oost

I was in a doubt of really needing a 5dmk3, but considering that l won't investing in any lighting ......

My wife has this as her first. You're right, it's terrible in low light. I think the iso goes a tops of 1600 if I'm right. She wants to keep it cause its her first and occasionally I get it out to see if its really that bad or it's just me and every time I put it back. It's not me.

Don't get me wrong, it's ok for learning but you said you've been on it for 6 years. I think an upgrade is more than ok. Heck I've only had my D5100 for a year and I already feel limited by its low light performance and am itching to upgrade.

I'll go big now. 5dmk3. Not sure about the first lens though...
I could afford a cheaper thing right now but l'm thinking that it will serve me for a long time ahead and if l could wait this much to buy a new gear then l can wait some more to buy what l really want. Have problems with my mobile phone...sorry, can't finish oost

I was in a doubt of really needing a 5dmk3, but considering that l won't investing in any lighting ......

I'm in no financially stable position myself to upgrade to an expensive camera but when I upgrade I will. The reason is just as you stated. I want a great camera that I am have for years to come and not feel limited with in a year or two. Originally I wanted to upgrade to a. D7100 but now I'm thinking of going Full frame. It may be more expensive but I know I'll love it for years to come.

If you can save up and get the more expensive camera, you should.

My wife has this as her first. You're right, it's terrible in low light. I think the iso goes a tops of 1600 if I'm right. She wants to keep it cause its her first and occasionally I get it out to see if its really that bad or it's just me and every time I put it back.omg It's
Omg you're the first e520 people l met !!! :) so you certainly know what l'm going trough :(
Reson for not upgrading sooner is that l waited to learn about photography,my equipment,theory,photoshop...and until now l couldn't justify myself an upgrade.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back