How do you shoot wrist watches for e-shop display?

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by foldtoe, Feb 9, 2018.

1. foldtoe

foldtoe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm referencing this website right now: Eclipse Steel – rose gold | ZIIIRO

I was wondering how they did the first straight-on shot, and also the subsequent shots where the watch is tilted and appears hollow.

For the first shot, I tried lying the watch down on its side, and also wrapped around a tube, but didn't really quite get the same effect. For the "hollow" shots, did they have something inside, which was then photoshopped out? My watch also has leather bands which make it harder to form a perfect circle like the above.

I need to make a video of the watch with this kind of angles, too, not just a photo, which increases the complication. (But maybe a video just for the straight on shot and not the tilts).

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post links.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2018
  2. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Can't be of much help with product photography, sorry.

That company has some pretty cool watches, and they are definitely thinking outside the box with their designs. Love that!

But those color schemes... I either like the band, or the face, but neither together. :confused:

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    just place the watch on a very hairy wrist

5. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think the watch is suspended.
    The shadow looks the same on each image.
    So it could be just laying on a table - or slightly raised to compensate for the round watch vs flat band, and then the camera angle and lighting is key.

Just some good Photoshop work to cut it out and give it all a nice white background. And it's not just a "quick" shot. They spend some time on it.

When I did some watch photography I used multiple type of "fillers" in the band to give it the circular look. Form a black foam full filler which helped it from a frontal shot, to thin stiff fillers which allowed you to see a partial open band..

6. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OR, you can experiment with "light sorces" before digital lights, i used a combination of neon and incandesent light bulbs.

7. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

you could suspend the watch in front of a green screen and then just replace the background, or you could use a lightbox.
    i dont do product photography, but i set this up in about 5 minutes and then did a quick edit in LR. probably 15 minutes total.
    probably could do better if I took more time setting it up better and doing some more in depth editing, but you get the general idea.
    this was on a clear plastic watch holder that came with one of my wifes g-shocks set up in my 16" LED lightbox.

[​IMG]seiko watch for husqvarna viking by pixmedic, on Flickr