How do you...

mostly sunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Get what you see without your camera in your camera?

Or, you all have seem my picture taking skills-- Should I just work on learning my camera.:blushing:

Congrats, that may be the new benchmark for vague questions...:headbang::headbang:
Sorry...I know that is kind of an a$$ response...

Seriously...people write books to answer just that question.....it's a process!

Sorry, I dont get the question.

How do I see without my camera in my camera? As in, I see a scene with my eyes, I then pick up my camera, and I want to reproduce the same thing in my camera?

Many times I come accross something I find nice and interesting but I just can't get it right in camera. Thats the fun thing with photography, its the challenge. How do I get it right? I try again. I go back to the same spot at a different time of day when the light is different.

I post the best picture I took and ask for comments as to what is missing, and then arrange for a reshoot.

Problem is, I'm starting to have a long list of places to visit for a reshoot.

I can do this as I'm comfortable with the technicalities of the camera and how to get the picture exposed as I want. If you are struggling with getting the exposure (ISO, shutter, aperture) right, then you are probably not able to get consistently well exposed images on your own...its just a crapshoot when you take the photo if it turns out as you wanted.

Focus on the basics of photography. Your camera is a medium, its a tool. Its not the be all of the image. Your eye and knowledge are what is more important.

Once you get comfortable with consistent results in terms of technicalities, then put more attention to composition tricks to make the image look nice. One thing I like to do is select one basic "rule" (thirds, leading lines,...) and go out for 5 hours and specifically seek images with this one rule. Learn it, understand it. Then do the same with another rule. Force your eye to learn to see things as if you were looking through a view finder.

After a while, I found myself on the bus, looking out the window, and seeing a whole bunch of photo opportunities

If you are trying to learn the basics, the technicalities, composition and so on all at once, it will be confusing. One step at a time.

I hope my ramblings answered your question

I get it.

She is asking how to get her photo to look like what she saw with her eyes.
*sheesh*

I do not understand the 1st question. But learning how to use your camera is for sure is a good thing. And basic understanding of exposure is a must.

If you are a beginner, you can hop to the tutorial thread and see if you can find something useful. (books, tutorial links ...)

Get what you see without your camera in your camera?

Or, you all have seem my picture taking skills-- Should I just work on learning my camera.:blushing:
You can't. Learn how to use your equipment lets you get as close to that as possible, if that is your goal.

I make most of my photography income from abstract photographic images. In the case of that type of photography, getting what I see with my eye, exactly that way in the recorded image, isn't important.

When I do portraiture, I use lighting, posing and camera angle to make my clients look better than they really are.

It could be critical for making images of products or for scientific purposes, but many times a photographer is persuing an artistic vision, which also makes understanding your equipment vitally important.

I get it.

She is asking how to get her photo to look like what she saw with her eyes.
*sheesh*

You must work with drunk people or kindergartners a lot :lmao:

I don't think that is funny.

I think english may not be mostly sunny's first language.
If you just think about what she may be trying to ask, and puzzle it out, you too could figure it out. This may go back to critical thinking skills I was talking about in another thread. I have worked with a number of people for whom english was their second language, and comminucation can be critical in the workplace. So taking just a little time to use your head and think, get's you a long way.

Get a lens with 180 degree coverage, then use that and create mild HDR's. The Human eye has a very dynamic range, meaning you can be in a dark/dim room with a window open showing a bright and sunny day outside and see the full dynamic range perfectly.
The luminance of starlight is around .001 cd/m2, sunlight scene 100,000 cd/m2, the Sun 1,000,000,000 cd/m2... The human eye on average can handle about a 100,000:1 range in a single view.

So in order to photograph what you see, you need to expand your photos range to take that into account.

if you're talking composition-wise, there's nothing wrong with making a little box with your hands and visualizing that way. you'll think about it so much that you'll find yourself CONSTANTLY saying..."wow that would make a great shot" or "man this would look cool in a frame."

learning your camera is a plus for sure, but that's just half the battle....maybe less ;)

however you go about it...just keep shooting! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back