how does my camera copyright a picture

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Danopic, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Danopic

Danopic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Canon EOS 60D, it has a setting that I can set so that will automattically copyright all my imageswith my inputted info. Does anyone know how they do that? I can only assue it notes the copyright info into the pictures file. Does anyone know how I can find what the file looks like?

2. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Opanda software is popular as an EXIF reader.

3. Tony S

Tony S Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You can add all kinds of info using the Canon EOS Utility software that came with the camera. Hook the camera up to the computer with the cord that came with it and you will be able to add, edit and see all kinds of information. If you bought the camera new, you should have two manuals... one for the camera, the other for the software.

If you don't have the manual for this it can be found online at Canon... this goes right to the 8MB PDF file for the software manual.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300004048/01/eu29-w-en.pdf

4. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your camera doesn't register your copyright, you have to do that. You can put your copyright information into your camera. That does not exempt you from registering your copyright every three months. Try your instruction manual for how to input it.
    If you want to see what the information looks like simply right click on an image on your computer and properties.

5. Ballistics

Ballistics Been spending a lot of time on here!

I personally believe registering a copyright is useless. If you have a copyright already, what difference does it make if it's registered or not? It's not like it won't hold up in court any less because you didn't pay the $75.

6. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's $35, and the difference in judgment amount is substantial, like as much as $250k vs "stop using his image".

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ballistics

Where does it say unregistered copyrights are disqualified for large judgments?

8. Ballistics

I also remember reading that it was $75 for up to 100 images.

9. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Provide us with a case where a large judgment was issued.

10. Ballistics

On the otherside of the coin, provide me with a case where a judgment was denied due to an unregistered copyright.

11. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, it'll cost you more in legal fees than you can recover an unregistered copyright, so paying the $35 is definitely worth the money spent every 3 months.
    From the FAQ on the US Copyright Office Page:

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”
    Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
    Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ballistics

Meline Legal ยป Copyright Class Action Law Suits – Unregistered Works
    So I just read a few legal articles regarding copyright infringement and registration. There is no requirement to register your copyright, but if you want to take it to court you should register before hand. Having said that, you can register your copyright the day before court it seems like with no obligation to do so before that. Doesn't specify that you must do it in a timely manner.