How does onboard HDR sound on a DSLR?

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Pentax K-7. They came up with a couple new ideas. Camera produced HDR shots. One of the newer things I noticed. It is also Weather, dust, and cold sealed. Mid sized sensor 14.6 still, with 5.2 fps. Magnesium chasis. HD movie. Electronic level function for level horizons. 100% coverage view finder, live view. Pentax Raw or Adobe .DNG for raw in camera. In camera embedded copyright function.

$1,300.

Sounds unneccesary.

DPreview wrote:

HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures.

I believe that this means that you will have the ability to sort of "one-click" process the files in camera, as opposed to you clicking the shutter once and an HDR popping up. I could be wrong though.

What about Nikon's Active D-lighting?

"An HDR image capture mode blends three separate image exposures to widen the exposure gamut, bringing out detail in all exposure areas of your images"

With it stating "capture mode" I take it that means press the button once it takes 3 exposure compensated pictures. And combines the 3 seperate exposures to a single file.

"An HDR image capture mode blends three separate image exposures to widen the exposure gamut, bringing out detail in all exposure areas of your images"

With it stating "capture mode" I take it that means press the button once it takes 3 exposure compensated pictures. And combines the 3 seperate exposures to a single file.

Yeah you're right from that description it does sound like thats what it does.

Active D-lighting while it does tweak the dynamic range, is not HDR because there are no compositions of different exposures. It just tweaks the dynamic range similar to tone-mapping or even a curves adjustment.

Its very good at what it does, but not anywhere close to the results of a true HDR image.

It seems these camera companies are eating up what we currently call art and making it very disposable.

like all auto modes its probably going to be half decent at doing what it says on the box - but for those of us who take things more seriously (ie most site members ;)) chances are we will still prefer to have the choice of blendings ourselves. Its going to have limits but should be decent for a holiday snaps we don't want to have to edit through

I like cheese. I don't like preprocessed cheese.

You'd think that they would want to concentrate on being -regaining their rep as- a great maker of fine cameras instead of worrying about gimmicks to approximate a passing fad.

ugh...don't like the idea.
i'd rather play with my images myself.

I disagree, Active D-lighting is very very useful. It can really help on high contrast photos to capture all the detail. The results are not "high,diseased or radioactive" at all.

Most reactions

Back