How does your camera handle high ISO?

LCARSx32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lcarsx32.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was going to post on Mo's thread (which got way out of hand and was locked) because I thought his original post was useful. I've been considering upgrades to my 300D because I like shooting in low light. Scratch that. I love shooting in low/no light. My 300D tries. It really does. But it's sensor just isn't up to par. So, if you wouldn't mind posting a shot at ISO 1600 with regular indoor lighting, I'd be much obliged. Please include a 100% crop so we can really see what noise is there. Canon or Nikon. I think it would make good reference for others considering cameras for their noise performance.

I'll start. This is a Canon 300D. Settings were 50mm f/2 @ 1600 ISO and 1/60 of a second (don't trust my EXIF, I'm using a lens adapter). The cat is called Fat Cat, for obvious reasons.

Resized Image:
300d-iso1600.jpg

100% Crop:
300d-iso1600-100-percent-crop.jpg

Junk on the floor... ISO 3200, 50mm f/2.8 (tamron 17-50), 1/80 shutter.

Aek8D.jpg

And the grit:

DRYja.jpg

Not horrible.. but not great either.

And your camera's make and model is...? lol.

EDIT:

Checked your profile. He has a Canon T2i. Thanks for posting. I was curious how the T2i fared. Pretty well! I'll post one of my 300d at ISO 3200. Or "H" as it likes to call it. I think "H" stands for "looks like Hell". lol.

And your camera's make and model is...? lol.

EDIT:

Checked your profile. He has a Canon T2i. Thanks for posting. I was curious how the T2i fared. Pretty well! I'll post one of my 300d at ISO 3200. Or "H" as it likes to call it. I think "H" stands for "looks like Hell". lol.

I didn't use any noise reduction... just fed the RAW into photoshop and resized the one, cropped the other. Those are the rules right?

Sorry about that (not mentioning camera make/model), should have specified. I'm used to having everything listed in sig..

My 'H' is 12800 ISO :p

Yep, no noise reduction. It would defeat the purpose. Color correction is ok, but no sharpening/blurring/noise reduction.

12800 ISO! My god, can you make anything out?! Mine would be colored snow!

300D's didn't officially support ISO 3200. I had to load the "UnDutchables" firmware to enable it. Here's what it looks like:

Resized image
300d-iso3200.jpg

100% crop
300d-iso3200-crop.jpg

Nikon D3000
ISO 1600 F3.5 Shutter 1/60
bg788z.jpg

242fywp.jpg

ISO 3200 F3.5 Shutter 1/125
nl24pv.jpg

j0vdwy.jpg

This may sound weird, but I don't know how to get a 100% crop perfectly. I've never looked either, though. I was getting ready to go to bed and just had to do this haha, so I just tried to get the crops very similar, which I think they are, just one is lower.

Thanks to this test I also just realized that I would, not comfortably, shoot at 1600 if I absolutely had to.

12800 ISO.

Don't expect I'll be using this often.

gUHNd.jpg

jYhX3.jpg

Nice I was going to post the 2000 ISO but looks like after what REZNAP posted, I better not. I'll wait on that. BTW, are you using a nikon? Also do you turn on your in camera High ISO Noise Reduction on?

This ones for Derrel...

The 7D handles high Iso really well, and this has already been proven on these forums by Matt and others in the past.

EOS 7D/70-200mm 2.8L IS II

125mm
f/2.8
Iso-1600
1/100th sec
Handheld/IS on

1. Orig. image resized

IMG_8461.jpg

2. Actual pixels crop

Untitled-9.jpg

Keep in mind that this is the JPEG straight from the camera. No post noise reduction even done, I could easily make it look far better/less noise. The only thing I did in PS was auto color/contrast/tone.

In my opinion the 7D has very good high Iso performance, and its clearly up there with the best crop bodies in this area.

Neil

Last edited:
This may sound weird, but I don't know how to get a 100% crop perfectly. I've never looked either, though. I was getting ready to go to bed and just had to do this haha, so I just tried to get the crops very similar, which I think they are, just one is lower.

The way I get an actual pixels crop (100%) is to define the size of the selection in PS.

Go to the rectangular marquee tool, and select "fixed size" under the style pull down.

Set the exact pixels size you want, and make sure to enter it with "px" after the size. Example: "1280 px"

Click and drag to exactly where you want the selection in the image, then copy the selection.

Next create a new image, and then paste the selection into it. When you create the new image after already having the crop on the clipboard, it will be created to the dimensions you defined (at least for me in CS5).

Presto, actual pixels crop.

Theres probably a 100 other ways to do it, this is just what I do.

Hope this helps.

-Neil

Last edited:
That is one fancy gas can Neil!

That is one fancy gas can Neil!

Hey Schwetty!

I have been so busy lately, and I just started college again about a month ago. Havent had much time to post on here.

Did you really get that 70-200 2.8 lol? Someone said you didnt really get it.

Neil

Most reactions

Back