How important is having an IBIS camera if you use already use IS lenses?

A huge heap of reasons IBIS is a bad idea... That reminds me of all the anti-autofocus arguments from the early 1990's. And all the arguments against automatic ISO setting, by people who do not understand fully and from their own actual experience what these two technologies can offer.

+1

I grew up with MANUAL focus, and now having used AUTO focus, I will not willingly go back to manual focus.
Shooting sports is soooooo much easier with AF.
And as my eyes get older, AF becomes even more valuable.

Being an old foggie, and being overwhelmed by all the stuff that modern cameras can do, I had not used auto-ISO on my dSLR until quite recently. But dang, that is neat stuff :) It is now a tool in my tool box.
I think one of you guys opened my eyes to it.

I like manual focus when I will control the horizontal. When I will control the vertical. When I can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. In short, in an artificial, controlled setting. When something isn't entirely within my control I like autofocus even if I then override it once the automatic part has done its job. Even if the camera doesn't get it perfectly right, it'll get close to right very quickly, allowing for fine-tuning to be done quickly as well, and for particularly fast moving subjects it will probably do a better job than I will, especially wide-open where narrow depth of field really limits the area of focus.

I like auto-ISO because I can get down to the business of aperture and shutter speed without now further having to worry about ISO. My relatively modern camera delivers good results even with high ISO, I don't need to overly concern myself with manually picking ISO.

OP, To answer your question quite simply: If you have an image stabilized lens, you do not need a body which has IBIS. One form of stabilization is quite sufficient.

Does this hold true for video? I was thinking about upgrading from the XT-2 to the XT-4 if it had IBIS. Thanks

OP, To answer your question quite simply: If you have an image stabilized lens, you do not need a body which has IBIS. One form of stabilization is quite sufficient.

Does this hold true for video? I was thinking about upgrading from the XT-2 to the XT-4 if it had IBIS. Thanks

I have a feeling that with lens IS and possibly IBIS to a smaller extent, video will very much depend on when the system was designed and what it was designed to do.

In some review videos that I've watched, it's clear that with Canon's oldest EF and EFS lenses, the IS does not really allow for pan/tilt because the lens was designed for still photography, and any pan or tilt could be interpreted as unwanted shake. Newer lenses designed after video was a feature might not suffer this or might suffer it less. Canon in particular sells a line of cinema cameras that use EF/EFS lenses, so it's possible they want modern versions of those lenses to do IS. Then again, it's also possible that they expect the videographer or camera operator to have their own external means of stabilizing the rig, such that IS or not isn't a concern.

If other camera manufacturers have popular lenses with IS that aren't really video-oriented, then IBIS and disabling the lens IS might make the most sense.

If other camera manufacturers have popular lenses with IS that aren't really video-oriented, then IBIS and disabling the lens IS might make the most sense.
I've not heard of lens IS having to be designed for video (after all they have to stabilize the image in the viewfinder till the shutter is operated, so have to work for extended periods), but I know many earlier IBIS systems did not work for video at all - this is the case for all my Pentax DSLRs.

I've not heard of lens IS having to be designed for video (after all they have to stabilize the image in the viewfinder till the shutter is operated, so have to work for extended periods), but I know many earlier IBIS systems did not work for video at all - this is the case for all my Pentax DSLRs.
Some of the video reviews of lenses that I've watched show jerky operation when used for video during pan/tilt. Basically the IS is on and trying to compensate for intentional movements.

Combine the xt30 with the Fuji 16-80 and you’ll be good to go. The in lens OIS is incredible on this lens. I normally shoot at 1/500 or faster due to my own inability to hold steady but the 16-80 really does have the advertised 6 stops of stabilization. I’ve taken slow shutter waterfall shots without a tripod.

Also, whenever you mount the camera on a tripod, you need to switch off the stabilization mechanism. Turn it back on for hand holding.

That's not always true but it is mostly true if you own a Nikon or possibly other brands.
With Canon lenses, except for a very few(maybe 3 lenses) very old first generation IS lenses, you can leave the IS ON when mounted to a tripod and they will automatically start sensing tripod vibrations and eliminating the tripod vibrations. No, they will NOT get confused!
This always having to turn off IS on Canon lenses is just a rumor, or maybe tantamount to a conspiracy theory!!! LoL
It's best to know the limits of the equipment WE own and use so that we can use it to it's full potential!
SS

Also, whenever you mount the camera on a tripod, you need to switch off the stabilization mechanism. Turn it back on for hand holding.

That's not always true but it is mostly true if you own a Nikon or possibly other brands.
With Canon lenses, except for a very few(maybe 3 lenses) very old first generation IS lenses, you can leave the IS ON when mounted to a tripod and they will automatically start sensing tripod vibrations and eliminating the tripod vibrations. No, they will NOT get confused!
This always having to turn off IS on Canon lenses is just a rumor, or maybe tantamount to a conspiracy theory!!! LoL
It's best to know the limits of the equipment WE own and use so that we can use it to it's full potential!
SS

It was the general advise given with stabilized cameras over a dozen years ago. When I forgot the affect wasn't ever noticeable, but possibly could have been seen with close enough inspection. I doubt it was more than a few pixels worth of blur right back then.

Most reactions

Back