How is the processing on this?

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was the first time I used a strobe light.. Is it too dark? Does the WB look right?

6998673217_646646c73d_z.jpg

It is quite dark and the background is really distracting. The feathery detail of the hat is getting lost in the branches of the trees behind her. This is quite fixable by bumping up the exposure in an editing program, but I fear the background will prevent it being a winner.

The WB looks fine to me.

It is quite dark and the background is really distracting. The feathery detail of the hat is getting lost in the branches of the trees behind her. This is quite fixable by bumping up the exposure in an editing program, but I fear the background will prevent it being a winner.

The WB looks fine to me.

Thank you.. I took this at a workshop and I was playing around with the ambient light and the strobe. I liked the dramatic feel of it, but wasn't sure if it was too dark.

Bring the exposure up and the white balance will clean up.
Background is not good, and will get worse as you brighten it.
Next time choose a non distracting background first, use more flash power.
Do not judge your exposure, especially with flash by looking at the monitor on your camera, use the histogram.
It should have a hump for the flashed part on the right and another hump on the left for the non flashed part.

Get your money back from the workshop.

Do not judge your exposure, especially with flash by looking at the monitor on your camera, use the histogram.
It should have a hump for the flashed part on the right and another hump on the left for the non flashed part.

Why?

Why?

Yeah, why? It's not the workshop's fault. Isn't the whole point of workshops to work on your technique and lighting? Getting it a bit wrong and getting C&C is all part of the process...

A larger aperture would isolate your subject from your background...

....went to a workshop....then had to come on here to ask the questions to find out what should have been learned at the workshop.

Of course I guess I am assuming the workshop had something to do with the questions that the OP asked....not that big a stretch.

....went to a workshop....then had to come on here to ask the questions to find out what should have been learned at the workshop.

Of course I guess I am assuming the workshop had something to do with the questions that the OP asked....not that big a stretch.

I was asking about my post processing, which was not part of the workshop.

I'm going to agree with MReid on this one. Given that this was your first time with a strobe and you were at a workshop, I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was a lighting workshop. If that is the case, you weren't taught how to use the light very well.

All that being said, it's one of those instances of trying to process a not-so-great photo to make it "good".

FWIW, not related to PP or lighting: something about the models pose seems really weird to me. I can't tell if it's the clothing, the way she has her left shoulder up, the hair, or just her general angle toward the camera. She looks very boxy and unfeminine.

What I am saying is the photo is underexposed which makes it too dark and also makes the white balance off.
If this was a lighting workshop....you did not get your moneys worth if you then have to come on here and ask how to fix these problems.

This is not a processing problem, but the problem was created at the time of capture because the exposure is not correct.

This is another Huge problem with our industry today, unqualified people wanting to cash in on all the new photographers by charging for workshops they are not qualifed to teach.

So, your saying the photographer didn't know what she was doing based on the picture I took and then attempted to process.. I'm the one who darkened the background in LR..This isn't SOOC.

This is the first time I've taken a workshop. Is the instructor supposed to go through every picture that each participant takes and critique them on the spot? There was about 10 of us there. She gave instruction and then we were allowed to practice. I took a ton of pictures. I actually didn't have to pay for this workshop since it was a pilot workshop for her.

Can someone tell me what a good workshop is supposed to be like and what the instructor is expected to do?

Here's the image sooc..

6856790442_99d499cc86_z.jpg

Last edited:
Forgive me, I'm confused. Were you the photographer of this or someone else? That does make a difference.

I wouldn't say the instructor should go through every persons every shot, but she should have been at least guiding you.

IMO, looks better SOOC than the processed one.

have you tried just bumping up the shadows a touch then blurring the background some to put more attention on the subject? just a thought. i could care less about what you paid/workshop/instructor/etc etc.

Forgive me, I'm confused. Were you the photographer of this or someone else? That does make a difference.

I wouldn't say the instructor should go through every persons every shot, but she should have been at least guiding you.

IMO, looks better SOOC than the processed one.

Yes, I took the picture and then attempted to process it.

Most reactions

Back