How is this done?

one21productions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, new to the forum, but not new to photography. Although I did just start real estate photography and have a lot to learn. One of my biggest questions is how to create photos like this (ATTACHED)? I am a video guy who has been pushed into doing real estate photography, because the original photographer bailed out and they liked my work flow better. So they kept using me and it has been a learning experience.

They almost look fake, but not in a bad way. They are very clean. I shoot with a Panasonic GH4 while using 7 Step HDR. It looks cool, but not as clean as the images that I am posting. What are they doing that I am not?

I use photomatrix 5, which is pretty awesome. So any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I will also post a sample pic of my HDR in comparison, It will be the last one with the big open room on the water.

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, welcome!

First; do not post photos that you don't own.

Second; the photographer used either a perspective control lens, or he corrected the distortion while editing.

First; Why cant I post photos that I dont own on the forum? Its not like I'm stealing them, making a profit off of them or taking credit for them. I actually put a good word in about their style of photography. Just wondering because I am new to the forums, and not sure if there was a rule against it. And technically it could fall under fair. It is used for a Nonprofit, educational, scholarly or research use; Transformative use: repurposing, recontextualizing, creating a new purpose or meaninguse, because this is for demonstration purposes on my education. After all I am a media studies student.

Second; Thanks

First; Why cant I post photos that I dont own on the forum? Its not like I'm stealing them, making a profit off of them or taking credit for them. I actually put a good word in about their style of photography. Just wondering because I am new to the forums, and not sure if there was a rule against it. And technically it could fall under fair. It is used for a Nonprofit, educational, scholarly or research use; Transformative use: repurposing, recontextualizing, creating a new purpose or meaninguse, because this is for demonstration purposes on my education. After all I am a media studies student.

Second; Thanks
Yes there is a forum rule against the use of someone else's images. We're a community of photographers and take copyright very seriously. In order to ensure that there are NO issues, and no debates over fair use, etc, we do not permit the posting of any images to which the poster does not hold rights or explicit permission.

Well then, my apologies. Like I said, I am new and dont mean to come across as an a$$. I simply didnt know and would like to be a part of this community witout any bad blood.... But since MY photos were removed from this post, here they are again.

This is the link to the photography that I want to know more about (interiors)
East Hampton NY 4 Bedroom Home For Sale | Brown Harris Stevens

These are MINE
P1030186_87_88_89_90_91_92_fused.jpg
P1030251_2_3_4_5_6_7_fused.jpg
P1030391_2_3_4_5_6_7_fused.jpg

Just post a link to the image, then maybe we can help out a bit more.

I would say lighting. Their images show almost no shadows while you have strong shadows. A bunch of well placed fill light and some work in post. I think your off to a good start.

I think these are HDRs; I'm not seeing evidence of a lot of strobed light being added. Regardless, there's a LOT being done in the pixel room.

You can, but if you look at the link to the images the OP is asking about, the outside (window) exposure is very good, there's NO reflection at all on the flat-screen television, and the blues in the sky have that telltale hint of grey that is normally caused by an HDR merge.

You can, but if you look at the link to the images the OP is asking about, the outside (window) exposure is very good, there's NO reflection at all on the flat-screen television, and the blues in the sky have that telltale hint of grey that is normally caused by an HDR merge.
The photos he posted are his HDR images, the ones he linked to are lit. ;)

Well one of the things that this forum already helped with was throwing it into further post (lightroom) and eliminating the keystone effect. Didnt know much about that, so thanks for that. But as far as lighting, what do you mean? Is he using flash or just setting up light stands? Seems like a lot of work if moving from room to room. Wouldnt the brightest exposure comp help with this as well? (Eliminating shadows)

I think everyone has been providing great responses and appreciate it tremendously

Just upping the exposure won't get rid of the shadows, it simply lessens them. The you linked is selling for three million dollars. For that kind of money it's well worth it to bring in lights and do it right. I posted a link earlier to a digital book that will help you with the basics of lighting interiors in homes to get a natural looking, pleasant exposure.

Most reactions

Back