How long have you been doing it?

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I was just thinking of how long I have been taking pictures. Was giving advice in another thread and made me think of what gives me the right to give advice. I have been taking pictures on my own for 30 years now. I'm getting old. :(

I got my first camera at 6, Kodak Handle (I have one today).
First playing with 35mm at 9.
In between borrowing the parents 35, I had gone through several 110's.
First own 35mm was at 19.
First paycheck from photography 21.
Started own processing at 22.
Last paycheck from photography 23 :(
First digital at 30.
First large format at 30.
First medium format at 30.
First DSLR at 35.

First digital: 15 years old.
First DSLR: 15 years old.
First SLR: 15 years old.
Age now: 15.

I've never played with even a disposable before getting my digital camera, which wasnt good enough for what I wanted to do so I got my money back (pretended it was faulty to argos), and put it towards my Nikon D50.

8 months later, it's today!

I remember growing up, how I would mock my dad for "wasting time" taking pictures, especially when we were on family trips and I just wanted to move on to the next exciting thing I could see or do.
Oh, how I have become the chip of the old block. Now my wife gets fed up waiting for me while I take photos.

My dad did start me out with some old thing, the film was a cassette about
2 X 3 inches when I was 8.
I moved "up" to a 110 when I was 10.
I was allowed to use the family 35mm P&S when I was 13.
Went through a period where I thought my brain was a good enough record.
Went through a pile of disposable cameras.
Finally bought my own 35mm P&S at 25.
Film SLR at 28
Digital P&S at 30
Medium Format at 31
DSLR at 32

From 25 to 28 I probably took 800 pictures. From 28 to 33 (now) I have probably taken 10 000.

started out during an 8th grade field trip to D.C. with a few disposable cameras, honestly before then i had never taken any photos ever

really started out with an old automatic 35mm compact, on a vacation right out of high school, which inspired me to get into photography

i bought a 35mm Minolta SRT-101 SLR almost a year later at the age of 19 from a good friend, great condition

that was almost 2 years ago (i'm 21 now), i shoot color and B&W film and develop/print my own stuff, most recently i've been doing lots of push processing

i predict that by the time i'm 22 i'll have a digital SLR

I have only been taking my photos serious for about 2 years. My film SLR time was spent taking bad photos and spending a lot on film and developing. I learned a lot on it, but couldn't wait to get enough money saved up for my 300d...I outgrew that in about 8 months and 6000 photos later...Some how managed to convince my wife that a 20d was a good thing for me....Bare in mind I dumped a ton of money into lenses in the 8 months since getting the 300d.

Timeline of cameras:
Age 10: 35mm point and shoot (Lost it after 4 years and never replaced it)
Age 19: Digital Point and shoot (4 of them actually)
Age 22: 35mm Film SLR
Age 23: DSLR (300d)
Age 24: Nicer DSLR (20d)
Age 25: hmmmmmmm Doubtfull...probably more L glass.

I've been shooting since at least age 9 with my mom's camera or disposables on class field trips. But I haven't seriosly been doing photography for more than 4 years. Timeline:

Age 9: First(?) real photography
Ages 10-18: First SLR (Dad's old film Nikon), including first astrophotos.
Age 14: First telescope
Age 19: First "consumer" digital camera (Canon S30)
Age 22: First "prosumer" DSLR (Canon Digital Rebel 350D)
Age 27: First "professional" DSLR (unknown)

Age now: 23.

First camera was prolly around 10. Point and shoot.
Started effing with developing and an oldschool slr in highschool 17-19.
Bought my first SLR at 21.
DSLR at 25.

15 years I guess. Hopefully many more paychecks to come.

First camera: 8
Followed by a number of other ones I broke
Advantix camera at 13
First digital: 18
First DSLR: 20
First SLR: 20
First Paycheck: 20
Last Paycheck: 20
Age now: 21

Did the first tentative test shoots on b+w film in my sister's Kodak Instamatic when I was in First Grade.
Got the first camera of my own (Rollei 35) when I was 13.
Started to use an SLR (my now-husband's then still boy-friend's cheap and nameless one) when I had just met him at 27.
Got my own SLR (Canon EOS 500N) at 40.
Got my own first digital camera (Canon Powershot A95) at 45.
Got my first DSLR (Canon EOS 350D) when I turned 46 (that was in December of last year).

Age now: going on 47 in about six weeks from now.

First camera: Yashica point and shoot, around age 14
First SLR: Canon AE-1 at age 17, learned b/w film processing at this time, too
First digital SLR - Canon 10D at age 24
First paycheck from photography: 2003
Last paycheck: 2006
Current age: 27

I'd used cheap 110 cameras as a teenager but got to use my dad's 1960ish 35mm something or other on a weekend out of town (1987? which would put me at 19 yrs old), guess that's where things started getting serious.

Got a pretty cheap point-and-shoot 35mm camera at that time and used it forever.

First digital was a Sony Mavica I got in 1999 I guess.

Wanted to get semi-serious and got an Olympus E10 in 2002

That died and I bought the D100 off a photog buddy who was cutting back almost a year ago. Never going back to point-and-shoots again.

Most reactions

Back