How long?

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
I've just realised it's been almost two weeks since I last took a photograph. One or two snapshots, but no photos. For me that is a very long time.

So I was wondering, what is the longest amount of time where you've not taken a photograph? I suspect that for some it will be years. So for the people who spent a long time not taking any, what did you do instead and why did you stop?

I still take photos for the family album but I don't consider them photos if you know what I mean. I haven't taken a real photo for maybe three years now. I lost my muse. But I don't mind if I never get her back. Have gone back to painting and drawing.
Strangely though I still consider myself a photographer. Think it is not about pictures but a state of mind. I've certainly known people who took pictures for a living and who were definately not photographers by my definition.

Its been about 3 months for me :( I've just been really busy with school and stuff, that I just haven't had the time or the energy to get out and take some photos. I'm thinking about buying a new Canon Elan 7 and I think that would help me find some time :D Since I'm so busy during the day now, I think I might start polishing my night photography skills! and I'll just study by flashlight while I'm waiting for those 10 minute exposures!

Zach :D

Ferny,

Creativity is a process, not a routine. Like a relationship, a photographer returns to his tools more intensely during bouts of passion than other times of fallow emptiness.

Some of us do routine commercial photographic work which is deathless in vision yet vital for livelihoods. Exploring one's perception - the art of photography - is something which comes and goes...just like our humanity in personal situations.

"So for the people who spent a long time not taking any, what did you do instead and why did you stop?"

Paradoxically, this will sound bizarre. Because I was on holiday?
Most people take a camera with them on holiday; they don't use them enough during the weekday.

Read; write; renew friendships; paint; do charity work and spend too long on internet forums - that's what I do instead. Now I'm sure that'll help no one to know....

Most reactions

Back