How loud are older nikkor lenses? (non af-s)

oFUNGUSo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Or is it the body?

i have a nikon d200, and just purchased my first non af-s lens. its an older 50mm 1.8 AF (non D, non SWM)

i don't have anything to compare the loudness of it to because the only other two lenses i have are AF-S. Jeebus its LOUD.

granted, this is a used lens i got for 76 bucks on ebay......so mabye its not in the best condition. it does actually focus pretty fast, and seems to take good pictures so far. Its weird too because the noise isnt consitant, sometimes its just loud but sounds smoother, other times there is louder buzzing and almost grinding sounds. but it never catches, lags, binds, anything like that. seems to function fine

I guess im just looking for feedback from others who have used slightly older AF nikkor lenses that use the in-body motor/screw

edit: added a video of the sound

the lens i have is one of these

$AF_Nikkor50mmf18_MK1_A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
odd thing i noticed is if the camera is turned on its back, it sounds much cleaner......as i think you can see from the video

The lens itself shouldn't make any noise. Try manual focusing and see if it does.. if so, then something's wrong with the lens. The noise comes from the focus screw in the body.

The lens itself shouldn't make any noise. Try manual focusing and see if it does.. if so, then something's wrong with the lens. The noise comes from the focus screw in the body.

yeah theres very little noise in manual mode.......i hope this dosnt mean theres something wrong with my focus motor, when its focusing it sounds pretty nasty

tomorrow my buddy is brining his d7000 to work and i can test it on there to see the difference

I think Af lenses sound cool, plus u feel the torque, I always liked that with film. It's almost like holding a little robot when u take pictures.

... when its focusing it sounds pretty nasty...

It sounds fine to me. You should hear an F4 if you want to hear a wonky sounding AF motor.

Actually, I was thinking.. I have an old lens that gets a little loud when it autofocuses, sort of a chatter, which yours kinda sounds like in the first part of your video. I'm pretty sure it's a lack of lubrication in the focus ring that's causing it in mine. Maybe yours has the same issue.

Last edited:
The screw-clutch assembly is going to be louder than the in-lens motor. Just kind of the nature of things.

... when its focusing it sounds pretty nasty...

It sounds fine to me. You should hear an F4 if you want to hear a wonky sounding AF motor.

Actually, I was thinking.. I have an old lens that gets a little loud when it autofocuses, sort of a chatter, which yours kinda sounds like in the first part of your video. I'm pretty sure it's a lack of lubrication in the focus ring that's causing it in mine. Maybe yours has the same issue.

yeah maybe thats part of it......also i noticed there is som waxy substance in between the inner and out barrel, this could be causing some chatter.

you know, for 76 bucks, made in 1986, still takes pretty sharp pics and focuses fast, i guess i should just be satisfied with it

unpopular said:
The screw-clutch assembly is going to be louder than the in-lens motor. Just kind of the nature of things.

X2. It's louder than the af-s but not too bad. It's more annoying if it's dark and you can't nail focus lol. Then you hear it.... Zzzzz -zzzzzz-zzzzzzz- clack ( lock)

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Most reactions

Back