How many good or keepers are you getting to roll of film?

Hair Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Or if your digital how many in every 36 shots do you expect to keep.

I don't think its a one shot or two debate but I'm interested to find out approx how many shots you keep.

I'm shooting film at the moments and if I get 5-8 good shots off a roll I'm quite happy. One good really good shot would be OK.

I'm playing and testing to see what I get.

Are you all so good you get the shot every time?

I get about 5 or 6 on a roll of 24. Sometimes 10 if I'm lucky.

I have a friend that seems to take 5 minutes to setup every shot. I'm sure his accuracy is much better than mine but he probably misses a few things.

When i first started serious photography about two months ago i only ended up with like 5 or 6 out of a 24 exposure roll of film but now sometimes i get the whole roll right or just about 3 or 4 are bad.

You get the hang of it after a while, i guess.

I don't think anyone can say their photo ALWAYS comes out the way they want, even film pro's! But people do certainly get the majority of them properly exposed and focused.

I have to tell you when I shot film weddings out of about 6-8 rolls of 30 exp 220 film I mabye had to edit out 5 or at the most 10 bad shots but I guess that was a different mindset when each click cost money. Now, with digital I edit on the fly out of 300 on 1 card at a wedding I may delete 300 but I think that adds to creativity. I think having the ability to do that makes you willing to try new and different things.

I like to shoot slide film, and I always shoot 36 exp and bracket at least a 1/2 stop in either direction, and sometimes a stop, if it's a tricky situation. So that cuts me down to 12 "different" shots, if I'm lucky. I usually pick the exposure I like best out of each different frame, and keep those in a binder, but keep the rest in the slide container.

Out of those 12 shots, there is usually something to like about all of them, and something to change about all of them. It's a constant learning experience.

I shoot cut film and usually one frame each day unless i have a massive problem.... so its hard for me to say. I try to set up my shots so I want them as keepers not just shoot random so I would say I keep about 80 percent of the exposures I made.

That said my standards may be lower than yours....

When I switched from digital to film as my primary medium I noticed that I shot fewer but better quality pictures. I spent the day at the airshow on Sunday and only shot 4 rolls. If I had my digital camera I likely would have come away with a couple hundred. Out of those couple hundred at least a third of them would have been scrapped. I don't have my pictures back yet but I'll bet there will be no more than 7 that I'll throw away. Disclaimer: A lot of my shots are on program settings (mostly macro) so it's kind of a no brainer.

out of a roll of 36, about 1/2 to 3/4th are exposed the way i want. I shoot alot of slide and i spend time with each shot checking the light and what not and often i end up with good shots on each slide. I spend around 5 minutes setting up a shot and checking light and composing. However, the number that i think are good photographs varies from none of the shots on a roll to about 3/4ths. A shot can be technically perfect and still not a good shot. Some days i dont take good shots, sometimes, i dont take a good shot in a week. Some days i take all good shots. I enlarge and consider hanging on my wall about 1 shot for every 750-1000 that i take.
[SIZE=-1]"If I knew how to take a good photograph, I'd do it everytime." (Robert Doisneau[/SIZE]

All great points.

i find the comment regarding it doesn't matter if its technically a good shot, focus exposure etc but is it a 'good shot' < ineresting and I think what I was driving at

technically 80-90% are OKish, but I keep only 50%, the rest is thrown away (I often vary the composition and try again, or I shoot, find a better perspective, shoot again, and if it is a good scene, do one further shot just in case).

I am happy, if there are 4-8 on the roll which I do not only keep but which I actually really like.

When shooting weddings I normally come out with right around 90% keepers, however when I shoot wildlife there are more factors involved that I have no control over so I'm happy with 75%. You know I have always said that anyone can be a photographer if they have enough film. So for me it's keeping my % up there that's important.

Most reactions

Back