How many photos on average do you take at a wedding?

Recently, I've been forcing myself to be much more deliberate with my shooting. I did a 3 hour show recently and fired 450 shots - and I thought that was too much. I think it's a desirable skill to be able to fire your shots to capture the moment without having to hold down the shutter at 8fps.

Maybe I'm alone on this though.

Normally I will shoot around 800 and edit it down to 600 in camera. A lot of times you know a shot was crap right from the start because of one reason or another. No need to look at tons of pictures with eyes closed. I then edit down to around 200 or so that I let the bride and groom see.

I (sub)scribe to quality over quantity...

It's hard for me to do anything but. I've tried to shoot more, but can't seem to bring myself to make 10 exposures in the hope of achieving one. Maybe it's my film roots, when I would shoot about 160 and show 140. It may be my desire to shoot only in good lighting.

My last time out, my helper and I shot a total of 450 or so, and I fount THAT hard.

Last year, I attended a wedding as a guest. I could hear the photographer in the loft shoot more than a dozen exposures of one of the readers during the ceremony... in a matter of seconds. I can see where that would add up quickly. Six or seven years ago, that would be an entire roll of film and processing on one shot that had a only a slight chance of being sold. It's a hard mind-set for me to break. I hasn't been that long since it cost me a dollar per exposure.

Maybe I need therapy.

-Pete

I'm no expert... But if it were my wedding I'd like to see as many photos as possible to choose from...
Only problem being.. I'd want every single picture!!! Haha

PerrieBelle: I'm just like you... i don't shoot that much, because I have real troubles to trash my pictures afterward...
I always keep them... even when they are not that great... That recall me that I should remove some useless RAW!
I always shoot in raw + jpg with my minolta, and in 2 years I've accumulated a lot of RAW i will never use...

I just finished a wedding,( It was an 8 hour shoot) and I shot just over 1000 shots, I gave around 650. I like to give the couple as many as I can, i did one last year where the mother of the bride died shortly after the wedding and the shots from the wedding turned out to be key keepsakes. Its hard not to think about that when I take pictures now.

Most reactions

Back