How many Pixels Do I really need?

madisonofriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I think I have a misunderstanding of pixels. I don't know how to save my photos anymore, Is there just a general number, or does it totally depend on what you're doing with the photos? Is there some complicated calculation I have to make?
Because most of the time I don't have any specific place for it, so I don't know how many pixels to save it with.
I save my photos from lightroom, and sometimes after I open it in photoshop It doesn't have enough pixels. I need the very best quality for my photos.
Thanks for your help

What do you mean "it doesn't have enough pixels" - ergo what is saying that there are not enough.

In general I always save a photo with the maximum number of pixels after editing. Then I save another copy for each different size I need. Typically this means one at fullsize and then another with the longest side at 1000pixels for internet display. If I wanted to print then most online printing labs tell you the dimensions you need ideally depending upon the size you want to print to - so again that would require changing the number of pixels (down or up) and possibly cropping as well to fit the frame dimensions - then just saving that version again (remembering to sharpen after any resizing to account for the loss of sharpness after resizing).

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I save most of my stuff for the web at between 1000-2000 pixels on the long edge for uploading to the web, but can always go back to lightroom and save at full res if I'm going to get a print done. If I'm editing in PS for example I'll just save a full size uncompressed .tiff when I'm done in there, then I finish off in lightroom, then as above. No idea if thats the best way or not but that's what I do.

I would go into your Lightroom export settings and make sure they aren't set to export on web quality. You need to make sure you are getting the full image resolution when you take it into Photoshop and sometimes that can get reset on accident.

Make photos with as many pixels as your camera has.
Save the original.
Edit a copy of the original.

Pixel dimensions are the image resolution.
The more pixels you have the better the image resolution.

If you want your photo to have an aspect ratio different from the original you'll probably have to crop some of the copy of the original away.
Most DSLR's make photos with an aspect ratio of 3:2.
8x10 (or 10x8 for a horizontal format) has 5:4 aspect ratio.

If you don't have enough you can borrow some of these.
lost-pixels-live-wallpaper-1-2-s-307x512.jpg

:bouncingsmileys::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Save your images at full resolution. Why would you reduce the pixel count?

Disk space is cheap! If your computer is running out of space on the internal drive(s) get some external space. Do a quick search... there are tons of options for 1TB drives for less than $60.

I try to avoid letting my drives get more than half full for performance reasons... the more you fill it, the more it slows down.

Most reactions

Back