How much could I sell my D40 kit for?

optigirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm an ameture with no money. Looking to sell my d40 kit. I still have the box it came in and everything. thinking of selling for about $500? I don't think I paid more than $700 for it brand new 3 years ago. It's in almost brand new condition.

I have an AF-s 50mm f1.4 g lens that I wanna make the most out of and I also want to purchase the 85mm 1.8 lens but I think having a better body like the D90 like previous people on here have told me is a neat idea.

I have zero dollars and don't wanna put too much on credit so if I could sell the d40 and have enough to buy the d90 used or refurbished/used and then put the balance of that plus an 85mm lens on credit, that would work well for me. I just wanna be sure I'm getting a good deal and not making myself look like an idiot for selling the d40 for more than what it's worth. LOL

Thanks in advance!

$500 is probably a bit high, figuring they were being sold for around $450 refurbished prior to being completely removed from the market. You may be able to get $350-400 for it. Another way to get a glimpse of market value for used items is to see completed auctions on Ebay. You can always start with a figure a bit higher than you hope to get and see what people offer you.

If you have the original box, cables, caps, charger, manuals, software, etc and the condition of the camera go a long way to deteermining what you can ask for the D40.

Asking price is typically higher than the actual selling price though.

How good your sales pitch or ad is will effect the selling price.

Good clear, sharp, photographs of what you are selling goes a long way to giving buyers warm fuzzies and helps support your asking price.

Ebay completed sales of D40's cameras (body only) range from $120 to $500, with the majority in the $225 to $275 range.

How many actuations? I'll give you 250

If you sell local where there may not be very many options for places to buy dslr's you might be able to get more, but if sold online ive seen the prices of a used d40 to be around 200-300. Thats probably the most you will get. Personally without the funds to really invest I would just keep it for now, sure it is a 6mp camera, with low ISO usability but its a pretty good camera. Id stay put unless you absolutely need to upgrade, until you are able to afford it. Your photos wont magically get better using a d90.

What's your reasoning for upgrading bodies?

Thanks all.

The reason i'm upgrading to a D90 is because for one, I want to be able to use my 50mm f1.4 lens to it's full potential. Not sure i'm getting it on the d40. As well, I really want to invest in more lenses (like the 85mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.4) And the as far as I've researched, I'm very limited on lens selections with the D40. My main goal is taking sharp, crisp portraits of my 2 baby girls. I only want auto focus lenses. I believe if I upgraded to the D90, I will be able to have a much better selection of lenses AND it has a video recorder on it too, which is not a need, but an added bonus.

If it were up to me and money was not the issue here, I would go buy the D700, both 85mm lenses, a new speedlite and call it a day. In the perfect world!

I forgot to mention, my d40 kit comes with a memory card (forgot how many GB's, too lazy to go look) the strap, battery, charger, box it came in, all the cd's and manuals. I am ALSO including in the kit my 55-200mm zoom lens which also comes with a hood and it's original box. I put it up on craigslist for $650 last night assuming I won't get any bites after reading that ebay is selling for $250.

Not quite sure what I will do...I just want my 85mm lens. If I could get it worked on the D40, I'd forget selling and go for the lens instead.

The non-negotiable position regarding AF maybe is the thing that puts you in a corner. Is it essential for what you wish to do? You could in theory get a decent 85 portrait lens of various make, useable via a cheap adaptor and keep using the D40.

I've put up my D5000 body for sale for a few weeks. No1's willing to offer more than 300 dollars for it, but the lowest price I can find on Craigslist is 430. I think you could probably get like 250-300 for your kit at most. Good luck with your sale.

I assume your kit includes an 18-55 lens. I sold my D40 with 18-55 lens, extra battery and memory card for $400 on craigslist.

Last edited:
I'd sell everything separately. Definitely don't package the pro-quality 50mm "G" lens with the consumer camera--there will be very few buyers for that combo.

The average ebay value for a D40 "body only with accessories," is around $275, but you might be able to get as much as $325 for it (cameras depreciate FAST, lenses don't)

The 18-55mm lens should sell for $80, a bit less if it's not the VR version.

The 50mm 1.4 "G" lens goes for around $400

Most reactions

Back