How much is my D90 kit worth... I want VIDEO!

iamWALRUS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going into film school next year, and I would like to have a video capable DSLR for my projects.

Right now I have D90 that won't suffice. I'm considering selling my kit and picking up either a 5D or 7D.

How much is my kit worth?
D90
Kit lens
50mm 1.4
SB-28DX
2 Batteries

Its all in very good condition as well... only had it for 9 months.

As for my next move I need a camera with audio in and great low light performance. I need variable FPS as well - high speed would be nice.

Full frame or 1.6 crop? I don't know the disadvantage/advantage of either apart from nice cheap primes without the crop...

Anyone willing to help an aspiring filmmaker?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapOu3PHTHY"]YouTube - Canon 5D mkII 7D & T2i - Video DSLR camera reviews[/ame]

This video shows a good comparisson between the T2i, 7D, and 5DII. If my only concern was video, the T2i looks to be the absolute best value for money. The 5DII recently got a firmware update, which fixes some things, but its still a bit clunky and is significantly more expensive.

I did a lot of video work in college, and these new video DSLRs are really exciting. They seem to provide image quality on par or better with the high end XL2 or XLH1 at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
How much for that SB-28DX?

I didn't realize the T2i was so capable, but I do have a strong interest in stills. But I am not sure if that would justify twice the price. In terms of stills it would be a downgrade from my D90...

I don't want lug around a lot of lights; I prefer natural lighting as much as possible and the ISO performance on the T2i seems rather disappointing.

But if I sold my D90 kit I could get a T2i plus a nice prime.... ugh... maybe I'll wait 2 months and see what the future brings.

I wouldn't call it a downgrade, it's more of a side step. Given good lenses on either bodies, differences would be hardly noticeable.

As far as ISO, I dont know what you mean by disappointing... They are about the same up through 3200. And at 6400, they look only slightly more grainy, but hold more detail compared to the softer in-camera-noise-reduction the D90 does.

Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i review: High ISO JPEG Noise results, Canon 550D / T2i vs Nikon D90 | Cameralabs

High ISO for video is almost negligible. Even at the highest HD setting, it's the equivelant of 2MP image, and video is still quite usable even up to 6400.

Video ISO Comparison: Canon EOS Rebel T2i vs. Canon EOS 7D | Digital Camera Review

The T2i is a great little camera, and the only real things it lacks compared to the 7D is the fast shooting and extra external features (rear dial, top LCD, weather sealing, etc). And if you're looking for video in an SLR, it's your best option south of $3000.

How much is my D90 kit worth...

Which kit lens and how many shutter actuations?

What condition is it all in?

Original box? Charger? BS-1? BM-10? DK-5? All the cables? Users manual?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back