how much should I charge?

jre9198

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this thread has probably come up before. But every situation is unique. My step-father owns a pub. The pictures he currently has on his site just suck. They're washed out, lop-sided, and just plain bad.

Anyway, he has asked me to start from scratch and take pictures of the bar, and maybe food items for the menu.

I know he's my step-dad but he's a business man and wants to pay me.

How much should I charge for these shots?
Thoughts?

Thank you.

Step-dad, buisness man...

Throw him a rediculously high bid and let him mark you down. It might be a good time to upgrade your equipment at his expense.

Thanks for the comments. He is still my step-dad though. And I'm doing this because I just got brand new equipment. Digital Rebel XT 18-55mm, and a 50mm 1.8.

Are you just taking the pics or are you redoing the menu and website?

How long do you expect it to take you? Are you setting up off-camera lighting, and spending some time on processing... or this a quick in and out type deal?

Normally, I'd think you're looking at a half-day rate, maybe full-day depending on how much food you've got to shoot. Then, you'd license use of the images...

Somehow, I don't think that's what either of you is thinking? So, I'm all for free food. :eek:)

When I pay, I pay for one of 2 things:

- A deliverable
- Their expertise

Since you are delivering pictures, this falls more underexpertise.

How good are you? If not very, you sure cannot charge the man very much.

I do not know how it is on your side, but he's family. In my family it is massively wrong to charge a family member for ANYTHING.

How far does this go? When I go to the czech republic, my cousin owns a large store. If I wished, I could walk out of there with half the inventory and he would be pleased that he could do that for me. Of course, family doesn't shaft each other... so of course I would do no such thing.

Food for thought.

I do not know how it is on your side, but he's family. In my family it is massively wrong to charge a family member for ANYTHING.

How far does this go? When I go to the czech republic, my cousin owns a large store. If I wished, I could walk out of there with half the inventory and he would be pleased that he could do that for me. Of course, family doesn't shaft each other... so of course I would do no such thing.

Food for thought.

the guy's a STEP-Dad.

he ain't family.

f 'em.. charge him double!

id go for food or like $20

why don't you ask him to pay you what he thinks they're worth AFTER the website is finished?

I am basicly with JerryPH on this one. I wouldn't and don't charge in my family either. It is family after all.

The only reason I could see for charging anything is if this is being treated like a commissioned job. That is,the Pub owner (your step-dad) wants new pictures by two weeks from Tomorrow or what ever date. You have to give up your time and your plans, like it or not, to get it done by that deadline then maybe so.

I have two hobbies, photography and wood working. I charge for neither of them. Nor do I take on commissions. You want a new dinning room table and chairs, we will set up a time to go buy lumber, when we both have time. You will come over on weekends, nights etc and help build that table and chairs, when we both have time to get together. When it gets done, it gets done. But it is done at our time when we can or want to do it. If I want to go shoot pictures this weekend, we don't work in the shop. Just the way it goes.

This has always kept me out of trouble with situations like this. If you want it and need my help/expertise then what I charge is time. Your time to be there to help make it happen, when the two of us want to make and/or have time. With out it interfearing with either of our lives.

I am basicly with JerryPH on this one. I wouldn't and don't charge in my family either. It is family after all.

The only reason I could see for charging anything is if this is being treated like a commissioned job. That is,the Pub owner (your step-dad) wants new pictures by two weeks from Tomorrow or what ever date. You have to give up your time and your plans, like it or not, to get it done by that deadline then maybe so.

I have two hobbies, photography and wood working. I charge for neither of them. Nor do I take on commissions. You want a new dinning room table and chairs, we will set up a time to go buy lumber, when we both have time. You will come over on weekends, nights etc and help build that table and chairs, when we both have time to get together. When it gets done, it gets done. But it is done at our time when we can or want to do it. If I want to go shoot pictures this weekend, we don't work in the shop. Just the way it goes.

This has always kept me out of trouble with situations like this. If you want it and need my help/expertise then what I charge is time. Your time to be there to help make it happen, when the two of us want to make and/or have time. With out it interfearing with either of our lives.

Well said.

...If you want it and need my help/expertise then what I charge is time. Your time to be there to help make it happen, when the two of us want to make and/or have time. With out it interfearing with either of our lives.

You just gave me a smile and the warm fuzzies... lol

Well said.

Cant you just charge by the hour? Time to take pictures and time to process them (if your going to process)

Then a fee for actually taking the time do get ur equp and show up...

Or is that not how some photographers do it?

Most reactions

Back