how much should I charge?

Find out what it would actually cost you (per hour, per print, etc)to do it and either charge that cost or that cost plus 30%.

Do some research, Find out what dudes charge for that kind of work, just so that you can have some kind of idea what to work around... Or tell him you'll Do it for a Brand New Lense :D

I know he's my step-dad but he's a business man and wants to pay me.

You guys should remeber that the dad wants to pay. I dont think taking money would be a bad thing, especially if you made yourself really professional and took some time and got it right. Again im gonna ask, what all is he expecting? Does he want you to just email him the files, or does he want you to fix the menu and the website.

Myself ..... I seldom charge my family members and few very good friends. (I am not talk about photography since I am still a noob. I help them in computer, network and internet stuff)

But I will ask them to paid for the cost of the materials and I will do it at my spare time. And I usually will not put it in high priority.

If someone (a very good friend and he/she is also a business owner) really expect to pay me, I will tell them what my regular rate is and just have them pay me what he/she think is the best.

From what I know, business owner usually think differently. They do not expect friends and relatives do jobs for his business free of charge. Help them at home is a different stories sometimes.

Covering your direct margin is absolutely acceptable as well as will be affordable to your Step Dad.

30% of your cost IMO is a good start.

What are the expenses involved? Very little possibilities, however if it is going to cost you 5 trips across town at $10 gas each time, I do not feel it wrong to ask to get your expenses paid since he wants to pay something and if you are a "starving student" so to speak.

If you are living at home, and this man is providing for your family... don't even dream of charging the man. Just MHO. :)

Sorry after not living at home for a while now I dind't even think of that consideration.

Just get the expenses paid honestly. Cover cost of prints and gas.

I agree 150% with Jerry.

I don't think he is trying to stick it to the FIL. The FIL wants to pay, so I would let him decide. Offer to do it for a hamburger and french fries and your direct expenses. He'll throw in a beer and write you a check when finished.

Being nice to your wifes family will earn you more than if you charged him $150.

Edit: I reread the original post and sat that he is your step-dad not father-in-law. I'd still do it for a cheeseburger (or whatever he wanted to pay me) and my direct expenses.

If you are living at home, and this man is providing for your family... don't even dream of charging the man. Just MHO. :)

I get paid for mowing the lawn, is this wrong? I think that he shouldnt have to pay you in a professional way, but instead kinda like an addition to allowance. Just some to help you pay for things like dates and such, maybe like 40 bucks. ;)

I somewhat disagree.
Family wise, ya your dad raised you, but thats like his obligation. He got a kid, now he has to support it. Its not like the son now has to pay him back for raising him.

Most reactions

Back