How much would you pay for this lens?

Axel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
NIKKOR AF 70-300mm G ZOOM LENS. It goes for $99... Is it worth it? Are there any negative things with this lens? I have seen that Adorama has it for $99 and I wonder how a lens like that can be so cheap... There must be a catch here...

I'm sure it's far from the best glass Nikon makes. If you' ve never used a telephoto lens of that kind before it might be worth it to you to buy and try it out. I have used a Sigma 70-300mm, and I'm guessing they are similar lenses. I got some decent shots, but I have upgraded.

There are only two differences between that lens and the $300 ED lens... the mount is plastic and it doesn't have an aperture ring. Other than that supposidly, everything else is the same. Maybe sloppier mechanics, and the manual focus ring is too sensitive.... I got one off ebay for $80..

I've been told it really a "D" lens minus the ring.

I sprung for a "grey" market 28-80 just for kicks...Have had no problems and am happy with it so far. I'll admit it does feel "cheap". And the focus ring is really sloppy when using manual focus.

Whats really amazing is all my local photo shops sell that lens for $199 and B&H as it for $99. I asked them one time why in the world I should pay the hundred bucks extra just to buy it from them.....Needless to say I got a dirty look.

photosoup guru said:
There are only two differences between that lens and the $300 ED lens... the mount is plastic and it doesn't have an aperture ring. Other than that supposidly, everything else is the same. Maybe sloppier mechanics, and the manual focus ring is too sensitive.... I got one off ebay for $80..

Thanks. That's enough! :wink: If there is a lens that is the same but better made, I would never go for the badly/less good made!

Most reactions

Back