How often do you carry?

Not picking on cell phones, just assume that most people always have them on them so it was kind of a given.

Not picking on cell phones, just assume that most people always have them on them so it was kind of a given.

I agree (and I was not picking on you :1251:). After the rangefinder digital, I suspect the cell phone is the next greatest street camera.

It depends on what mood I am in. I don't always have one of them but if I think I'll see something to shoot (usually pertaining to one of the TPF challenges) then I'll carry one of them - usually the D750 but I may grab one of the film bodies.

i almost never leave the house without my point and shoot.
i rarely bring my camera though.

I always have a film camera with me. In the summer, it's in the bottom of a midsizes iglo cooler. I will probably get the new x70 (x80) when it comes out or just get an x70 at some point. It fits in the pocket.

I always have one of my 35mm Pentax film cameras with me.

Almost never unless I'm actually working. I also try not to leave cameras and lenses in the car. In addition to the fact that thieves may damage my car even if it's just a cheap camera, camera gear have seals and glue that may deteriorate much quicker under extreme heat and cold.
Humidity is more of a problem here, but I also avoid leaving camera gear unattended in the car.

I will usually take a camera bag with me if going out (other than just shopping or cinema type trips). The lights been so drab over this last winter that I got to the point of leaving camera gear behind when going out for a walk with the family one two or three occasions.

Only take my camera with me if its a planned trip or an area of interest while walking the dog. Not one of these people that needs it strapped to their face 24/7.

It's almost always in the truck, but only actually carried when intending to use it.

I used to take my camera everywhere and shoot everything. Back in those days I also used to spray and pray a lot.

I used to end up with thousands of useless and terrible photos. Sorting and storing them got really old.

These days my camera doesn’t come with me unless I’m specifically going out to take photos. I also don’t take a photo unless I’m relatively sure it’s going to be a keeper. I’ve found I’m a lot happier this way, I’m not getting burnt out from shooting, and my hard drive space and shutter life are going to thank me for it.

My cameras are all quite small so it never hurts to carry whichever is loaded in my purse/backpack. I don't always use them, but if an opportunity were to present itself, I'd be ready. I still have a phone in any case, though it's a bit slow so I don't count too much on it.

I usually try to carry "my camera" everywhere I go.

That's was the benefit of switching to the Fuji X system, I pretty much bring my XT2 everywhere except like shopping or eating at a restaurant (I just use my phone in those situations). Sometimes I bring my camera along and I don't take any pictures. That's just the way it is, but hey...at least I brought it!

Some say the Fuji 18-55 is too big but when you had a full frame DSLR and the full frame glass along with it, the XT2 + 18-55 is a pretty darn compact and lightweight system. If I put the 35 f/2 on, it's super lightweight and even more compact. I've considered getting one of those pancake lenses but everyone says they aren't very good. Then again plenty of people managed to get incredible photos with thoses pancake lenses. It doesn't always have to be about the best IQ but having the right camera with you at the right time can make the shot and if a pancake lens gets you there then it's worth it regardless of the reviews.

When I was younger, a friend of mine was a freelancer who sold pictures to the Toronto Star. So when I had an SLR camera and was doing my own developing and enlarging, I always carried a camera with the hope that I might someday sell a picture that way. I think I actually took one set of pictures that might have been sellable, but because I was an unknown, I decided to develop and print them myself so I would have something to show. By the time I got a couple of prints done, it was late and I was too tired to get down to the Star to try to sell the pictures. I ended up going to bed and dropping the idea. I cannot even remember what the pictures were, but it was not that earth shattering an incident. If I was an established freelancer I would have taken the roll down to the Star, told them what I had and left it with them. I think they would have at least developed it for me to see if I had something good enough.

I stopped taking pictures for years, and a few years ago I re-started, but mainly doing video. But I did start carrying a camera on a regular basis again. I did eventually take a picture of a fire that I thought was unique enough to submit. But the Star does not use such pictures often. They do not like that kind of topic. Even the "Sun" rarely publishes anything like that. So I was not surprised that it was not bought. But that is still the main reason I carry a camera.

I just posted a picture taken with a camera I carry most days. The camera is a Panasonic Lumix GF3 with a 12-32 zoom lens. If the weather is bad I sometimes replace it with an Olympus TG-850, but the picture quality difference is very high so I prefer to take the GF3 unless it is raining. I have used the GF3 successfully at very low temperatures, though I replace the lens with an Olympus Body-Cap lens.

Blue '52 Chevy

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back