How often do you carry?

Jeff G

-Amateur Shutterbug-
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious how often folks carry thier cameras (excluding cell phones) when not at home. Do you take it everywhere fearing you might miss the perfect opportunity if you don't have it, or do you only take it for planned shoots?

I have just recently decided to further explore photography as a hobby and feel like I have missed some nice shots when I'm not carrying, but wonder how practicle it would be to take my camera everywhere.

There are always at least two in my truck; I don't generally carry one with me if I'm not expecting to shoot, but it's not far away.

There are always at least two in my truck; I don't generally carry one with me if I'm not expecting to shoot, but it's not far away.

You must not get 110 degree farenheit summers. :eek-new: I would be paranoid to leave it in my vehicle even if temps allowed, guess it depends on your area.

One of the issues with carry is bulk (size and weight).
  • On one end. For me the heavier the camera (like my dslr), the more likely it is to stay at home, and only go out on specific photo trips. And that is exactly what happens.
  • On the other end. The smaller cameras (P&S) are easier to grab and carry, so it gets taken to more places, because it is easier to carry. My P&S gets used more than my dslr, because I can clip it to my belt like my cell phone, which makes it very easy to carry with me, and out of they way when not in use.
  • In the middle. I have a micro 4/3 camera that I will be using as a "tweener," when I want more control and quality than the P&S but less bulk than the dslr. I don't know how much it will get used, but I predict a lot more than my dslr (because it is lighter) and it will be used in many cases where I currently use a P&S. But it won't be going shopping with me, whereas the P&S could.

everywhere fearing I might miss the perfect opportunity.........:05.18-flustered:

My point and shoot every morning on our dog walk, then if it`s not raining then all the time.

Almost never unless I'm actually working. I also try not to leave cameras and lenses in the car. In addition to the fact that thieves may damage my car even if it's just a cheap camera, camera gear have seals and glue that may deteriorate much quicker under extreme heat and cold.

Last edited:
I have a M4/3 camera that goes everywhere with me. EOS kit comes with me when I am specifically going out to photograph.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Nope, never. I went through that phase decades ago but not any more. If I see something that would make a great photograph I just enjoy looking at it and move on. The only time I have a camera with me these days is when I'm going somewhere specifically to take photographs.

It depends, if it's someplace with a lot of walking I sometimes carry my P&S. My DW and I have an agreement there are planned outings where no cameras are allowed. Cameras like cell phones can be a distraction. Then there are planned outings where I take all the equipment I want. She gets her time, I get mine. Lastly are the planned solo outings, where I'm going to a specific spot for specific photos.

I’d say I have my camera and a small lens like the 35mm with me about 50% of the time. Always if I’m going to be outdoors, with family or somewhere new.

I always have my cell phone.

I think it is unfair to exclude the cell phone. For immediate events that you may happen to be at, or to record passing opportunities it is better than nothing, and actually can be quite fine in many cases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back