How old is too old for a camera or is there such a thing?

Well doesn't that just sound like oodles of fun? "Hey darlin get the kids. One of those traveling photographers is passing by. Let's go stand rigidly still for 5 minutes and risk blindness." :aiwebs_016::apologetic:

I've read on some of the film forums where people have made modern electronic versions. They're actually adapted modern LED speedlights they've built by hand to look like the old-fashioned flash trays. Some have even gone so far as to add a little fog machine to them to simulate the smoke.

That's a good idea but I couldn't use one personally. I'm just too much of a purist. Not that I don't try to relax on that but it is who I am.

Whoa Gun powder flash,Would you like to see your prints sir of the brides head blown clean off.:bouncingsmileys:

Whoa Gun powder flash,Would you like to see your prints sir of the brides head blown clean off.:bouncingsmileys:
Well a newly wed wouldn't want that but give the marriage ten or twenty years and the husband may sing a different tune. :biglaugh:

It seems even with the improved Flash-lamp they had the burned hands issue.

As a kid, I burned every finger I have changing out flash cubes too soon.

Sounds like you made the band-aid companies some good money.

Why d'ya think he's called Sparky?! (Actually I think it has to do with being an electrician.)

At some point they had flash that used a strip of, um I can't remember offhand what. Looked like a piece of string. They laid that in a flash pan and lighted it. There were actually fires from the flash sometimes.

If you look up the George Eastman House there was a video by an instructor named Mark Osterman(sp?) where he actually lighted and used a flashpan. Not practical for real life use and better to use in a supervised setting with someone like him who knows what they're doing.

Also try Film Photography Project | An Internet Radio Show & On-Line Resource for Film Shooters Worldwide - there's a guy named Mat Marrash that does large format (the large cameras that used 8x10 negatives) and he may have a video etc. on there (I haven't kept up with them lately).

Besides places already mentioned you could try Midwest Photo Exchange and Pittsburgh Camera Exchange for used/vintage cameras. Adorama and B&H also sell used/some vintage (although won't ship next week til after Passover). KEH Photo has older film & vintage cameras on their ebay page.

I have a 100+ year old camera and several that are midcentury; most still work or were just too cool to pass up and are for display.

At some point they had flash that used a strip of, um I can't remember offhand what. Looked like a piece of string. They laid that in a flash pan and lighted it. There were actually fires from the flash sometimes..............

Magnesium.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does magnesium have to be ignited about 4000 degrees? Have I been under estimating the temperature of a burning match?

What's a good place to find used cameras for those of us who are...um..."financially challenged" at the moment? Any one ever find any goodies at flea markets and yard sales?
Let's just put you into one of the more modern digital cameras. Have a look at Adorama, B&H, and KEH. All are reputable dealers who grade their trade-ins accurately, and price them fairly.

Take your budget on a little online shopping trip.

Just you and your budget.

And several dozen of us here on TPF.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but does magnesium have to be ignited about 4000 degrees? Have I been under estimating the temperature of a burning match?
I'm thinking that might be the temperature of the burning, but the old flash pans had a flint and steel striking wheel that would get it going. The photographer would frame, focus, insert the film holder, remind the subjects to hold still, open the shutter, and squeeze the igniter, causing the powder to "flash" burn. It was fairly fast, but not nearly as fast as today's electronic strobe flashes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back