How to book weddings? Frustration abounds, yet I press onwards...

I see little stacks of business cards for various things, including photographers, in various high traffic places. Anyone tried that out, and what happens?

Do you want to be compared to a plumber or electrician? It has to be referral first or the person has to see your work first.

Probably not plumbers and electricians would not want to lower their living standards to a wedding photographer

One of he first big decisions a couple makes after getting engaged is the location for the wedding. Unless they personally know a wedding photographer they make the location decision before choosing a photographer.

With this in mind I would go and visit as many places that people might rent to have a wedding as possible. When signing papers to book the place a nice venue would probably give them a folder to hold the paperwork and a list of approved caterers that the venue works with. You want to get a sheet about your photography business in that folder. You may even want to offer to take some photos for the venue in exchange for them giving your add to the couple.

After you have hit up all the wedding venues you start hitting up caterers that are on the lists from the venues. Again you may want to offer to do some photo work for them in exchange for them giving your add to people that book with them.

You then do the same thing with florists. And yes again you may want to offer a trade of your services photographing their flowers in exchange for then giving people your add.

You can do the same thing with any business that people might use in relation to a wedding.

It would also be a good idea to ask for some add sheets from these business that you can give to people you book. A ill scratch your back if you scratch my back kind of thing.

Bought the first of the four suggested books and am looking forwards to getting started reading it!

You don't have to get a booth to start with (although you can). Just the price of admission and spend time talking with the vendors. Get to know them, find out what they have to offer and what you can offer for them. Bring along a portfolio and/or wedding album that you have shot so they can see your work. (This second part is the same for the networking, visit their shops and stores, introduce yourself and then ask to set up a meeting maybe over lunch or something where you can show your portfolio. Even consider shooting some of their product for advertisement and marketing use.

Oh and listen to people like Robin, who does plenty of weddings.

Great ideas, thank you so much!

Thanks! Yes, just Craigslist (and word of mouth, which doesn't do much for the wedding side of things). No bridal fairs yet...isn't this something that will cost me hundreds of dollars to get into?
Yes, if not $1K or more. The single most basic and important truth to remember about business is: It takes money to make money! If all you're relying on is Craig's List and facebook, to be honest, I would say you're doing well. Set aside a chunk (say, $5K) for advertising. If you have a big wedding fair in your area, then book that (and be ready to spend another $1K on getting portfolio images printed, matted & framed for that), take out ads in local magazines/periodicals & newspapers (Yes, print is dying, but most have an on-line presence now, so make sure that you pay the extra for that), investigate Google's 'pay-per-click' advertising. Is there a local-access cable channel that will run inexpensive ads? Check that out... is your business listed in local telephone listing services? If not...

And as for networking with other local wedding business, namely planners, could you provide some insight into how to get into that, e.g. how do I approach them? Do I start by identifying all local businesses and then picking a few to visit in person? Email?
DO NOT e-mail them! At the absolute minimum, telephone, but better yet, face-to-face! Make a list of all of the local dress shops, florists, caterers, etc in your area. Put together portfolio packages (album-style) and visit each one. Introduce yourself as a new wedding photographer in the area and explain that you're working on establishing your business and meeting others in the industry, and could you show them your portfolio. If they don't kick you to the curb, then show them the portfolio and offer to leave it behind (Yes, this will cost money) but it also means that you've made an impression and you may get recommended. Also ask them for promotional materials to take with you.

To be honest I do not have that much to spend on anything! But maybe a few hundred bucks. Going to try all these other great ideas first though. Will start making lists of vendors, venues, planners, florists, etc. hopefully tomorrow or the next day. For portfolio do I put physical 8x10 prints in a traditional portfolio, or do I have an album made? Is twenty photos fine or should there be less?

Craigslist is not a good source for leads. I wouldn't pay a dime to advertise anywhere. All of my clients have come to me from referrals or me finding free ways to reach out. Free advertising includes social networking, physically talking to vendors/venues, talking to other photographers, networking in organizations, blogging, offering free sessions but selling prints. I'm sure there are many others. Craigslist is just one part of lead generation, but after four years your reliance on Craigslist should be minimal. Some photographers seem to do well paying for advertising, and some do not. It depends on the market and photographer. But my experience is that advertising is a waste of money.

Does "free sessions but selling prints" apply to this though? I have in the past done that for portraiture, but for weddings?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back