How to carry big lens around

jamesino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Suppose you're going on a hike or out for an outdoor photo shooting trip and you have a small 18-55 lens in the bag and the large Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L telephoto lens mounted onto a Canon 400D Rebel XTi, would you just leave the big 70-200mm attached onto the small camera body while walking around? Would the joint at the lens mount break?

Also, how does one zoom in and manual focus with that big telephoto lens? Im just mainly concerned about the lens being too heavy and snapping off.

Suppose you're going on a hike or out for an outdoor photo shooting trip and you have a small 18-55 lens in the bag and the large Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L telephoto lens mounted onto a Canon 400D Rebel XTi, would you just leave the big 70-200mm attached onto the small camera body while walking around? Would the joint at the lens mount break?

Also, how does one zoom in and manual focus with that big telephoto lens? Im just mainly concerned about the lens being too heavy and snapping off.

Unless you drop the lens and camera it should not fall apart. I heard of moounts breaking, but only due to a severe accident. Say tumbling down a flight of stairs. Anyway, the 70-200 f/4 is small and light as hell as far as telephoto lenses are concerned. It's just internally focused so it appears larger. But a 70-300 extended will be as long if not longer and about the same weight. It zooms and focuses just like any other lens. A seperate ring for focus, one for zoom.

There is such a thing as a backpack. But no way Would that lens hurt the camera I had a 70-300 lens on mine all day long yesterday with a huge speed light and lightsphere hanging off that, yet the only thing that broke was my neck!!! All that weight is killing me today! But i also seen a lady yesterday with a lens case with a strap on it Looked like a purse

I lug my Canon 100-400 attached to my camera on all day hikes. I carry it over my shoulder. You'll be fine.

I think someone makes a camera sleeve thing that attaches to your backpack straps and holds your camera from the backpack rather than your neck. Look into something like that It makes the weight much more distributed on your shoulders.

The only thing you really need to guard against on carrying a lens that size around is banging and dropping it. If you are hiking on rugged terrain (I do a lot of lava field hikes) then you have to REALLY be careful not to slip... for those hikes, I generally keep mine in a backpack for protection.

I just have my assistant lug around all the heavy stuff.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding. Truthfully, I bought a backpack.

I do a lot of camping and hiking in rough terrain and I have found it difficult to find the perfect match in equipment and much needed supplies (i.e., food, shelter, etc...).

I just bought a Tamrac top-loader that fits my 24-105 perfectly and I can strap it to my chest (yes, I know its goofy looking).

There is some awesome gear made by Kinesis, but with all the bells and whistles its going to cost a bundle to get it outfitted properly.

My 70-200 f/2.8 is a 3lb lens by itself but I really don't have a problem with it. The tripod mount ring thing is a life saver, I use it to rest the lens in my left hand and hold the camera with my right. This allows me to zoom with my left had quit confortably.

Most reactions

Back