How to clean lens ? Plz assist a newbie --

craige4u

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am having to clean lens on my Nikon D80, as it became sticky with moisture.
Now I wear spectacles , so am gona use my glasses - microfibre cloth and what liquid? Will water do ?

Water + microfibre cloth - OK?
OR, Shall I use cotton + water ?

Also, can I use spectacles cleaning liquid on lens in future ? Any particular brand ?

Either. Often don't even need water. Lenses are pretty scratch resistant. Cotton, microfibre, or if you have the spare capital buy dedicated lens wipes.

Some will sware by alcohol some use water. On an occasion i have just breathed on it and wiped it in my clean cotton shirt but I don't recommend that as your regular cleaning method.

water? no, alcohol if you don't have a lens solution. And even than, you should only use the alcohol sparingly. There are coatings on the front element that water will take right off.

ummm.... Something water will strip, but alcohol won't. Correct me if I'm wrong but such a thing doesn't exist. Those coatings are baked on rather well.

Under normal conditions, water will not harm the coating on a lens. cleaning solution should not either. For the micro fiber cloths just breath on the lens and wipe. You can't use cleaning solution with them (at least that is what every micro fiber cloth that I have has had printed with them). If I need to use something a little stronger on my lenses I use the traditional lens tissue paper and lens cleaning solution. The absolute BEST stuff I have found to clean lenses, glasses, CD/DVDs, scanners, etc., is a product called ROR (Risidual Oil Remover). I bought several bottles of it a few years ago and that stuff gets off all oil or other coatings from the glass. It doesn't say what's in it, but it smells just like the alcohol stuff they use to put on our arms before they gave us a shot when I was a kid. :D

Mike

well, whatever, i didn't spend thousands of dollars on glass to put water on it when cleaning.

Personally, this is why I always put a clear filter on every lens I own... I would much rather clean an inexpensive filter than my multi-coated lens (relatively speaking -- the clear glass 86mm filter on my 50-500 BigMa was a chunk of change).

Get yourself a lens pen (like the one in the link below). One end has a retractable brush (for gently whisking away small grains, etc) while the other end has a special cleaning surface (like a micro fibre cloth) that can be used to clean the lens glass. I got one from a local camera store (Henry's in Oakville, Ontario, Canada) for $14.99.

If you try to clean your lens with a cloth without first making sure that there are no small grains of sand or dust, you can accidentally scratch your lens by grinding stray grains against it with the cloth.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...rtmentId=10407&categoryId=10448&itemID=213901

Breath on it and use your micro-fiber. Believe it or don't, the water vapor in your breath is distilled and quite pure.

If you have something that needs alcohol, use Drinking alcohol. 190 proof is best as it will dissolve oils better and, being for human consumption, has far fewer contaminates to streak your lens.

Start in the center of your lens and with a twisting motion (to lift away whatever you're trying to clean off instead of just pushing it around) move in an expanding circle, using a fresh part of the cloth with each twist, until you have covered the entire lens from center to edge. Allow to dry and replace your filter.

mike

Personally, this is why I always put a clear filter on every lens I own... I would much rather clean an inexpensive filter than my multi-coated lens (relatively speaking -- the clear glass 86mm filter on my 50-500 BigMa was a chunk of change).

I almost never use a filter. Why put a cheap piece of glass in front of all that expensive glass? Even the most expensive filter is going to be made of cheaper glass than the lens is. The only time I use a filter on any of my Canon "L" glass is when I use a polorizer, ND filter or other filter like this. But I always keep a lens hood on the front of my lens as well. A lens hood will protect as well as reduce or eleminate lens flare.

At least that's the way I've looked at it after I did my own tests years ago with and without a clear or UV filter on my lens. If I hadn't of seen the difference myself, I'd probably still have a filter on my lenses.

Mike

Get yourself a lens pen (like the one in the link below). One end has a retractable brush (for gently whisking away small grains, etc) while the other end has a special cleaning surface (like a micro fibre cloth) that can be used to clean the lens glass. I got one from a local camera store (Henry's in Oakville, Ontario, Canada) for $14.99.

If you try to clean your lens with a cloth without first making sure that there are no small grains of sand or dust, you can accidentally scratch your lens by grinding stray grains against it with the cloth.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...rtmentId=10407&categoryId=10448&itemID=213901

I bought mine @ Wolf Camera for 7.99....... I love mine and they always suggest to breath gently on it.

I just breath on it and use a lens paper...

no...DO NOT use "spectacle" cleaning fluid, or a microfiber cloth with that cleaning fluid on it...

It says right on the instructions that come with all my lenses not to do that.

rocket blower, lens pen and lens paper... never use any liquid on the lens, but on the filter sometimes I just add my breath, most probably some liquid would follow... :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back