How to deal with fellow professional editing your photos without release

Becky they are screen shots of the preview images that the photographer (the OP) put up online for the clients to view. The clients then screenshotted them (likely because the OP has no right click on their site) and composed them into a single photo and presented the result to the photographer (OP) to use as a guide to produce a higher quality similar composite to then be printed and bought.

This is correct. We don't release any digitals (except for weddings and then only for a high price), and the only access she had was to low res images she could screen shot. She could have easily explained what she wanted. Instead she said she composed this image to show us what they want for their personal flair, and to see if it was "within our abilities". Anyway the composite she wants just looks wrong. A giant sun flare where it shouldn't be as the light is from the opposite direction and an old barn moved into the photo where it doesn't really look right (although this might just be my view as I grew up on this old yard). The message with the picture was somewhat insulting as if she was questioning our abilities. If she was unsure if we could do what she wanted, she shouldn't have hired us in the first place. Actually with all the talk of theft this wasn't really the problem in this case. As was pointed out they were coming to us to get the print done that they want. It was more of an insult and what should be proper etiquette between people in the same business.

Anyway we are biting our tongues and we have a meeting with her this afternoon to discuss what she wants. We will do our best to make a print she is happy with and take her money. After all we rely of our print sales to make money. Our session fees barely cover our time spent on each session, and everything after that is a la cart. Hopefully everything goes good this afternoon and my wife can keep her temper in check. SHe has calmed down but this is bothering her more than me (as it is her editing abilities that were insulted).

Marcel

Ahhhh I didn't realize that she also edited the images not just screen shot. It sucks that you feel you need to go with the sale for the sake of the sale. It's your brand that will suffer in the end. Especially if the images no longer reflect your brand. We've all be there though. I used to have people ask me to shoot a wedding and then say..."we want you to edit them like this"....and "we know you like to shoot this type of way but that's not what, we want we want this..." You took these photos for her I'm assuming because she came to you because she liked your style....now she is trying to make the images look more like her brand than yours. Probably begs the question why. Too bad you aren't in a position to stand your ground and tell them this is your art and not theirs :(

We will stick to our brand and artistic view. We will do our best to meet what she wants but will not print something we would not be proud to display ourselves. We have no obligation to sell her any print at this point. But we are trying to run a profitable business and rely on sales.

I have to say that I have been an owner of 4 different businesses in my life and this is by far the hardest one to make profitable. I very much respect those photographers that rely solely on this to make a living. I am in the lucky position to be doing this as a secondary business and farm as a means to make a living for my family so we can stick to our own vision. But we still want to be profitable and that means pleasing the customer.

And she damaged your property?? it may have been an accident and an old fence but still, she seemed to not care as long as she got the photo she wanted and that's what I think I'd find most upsetting.

I think a concern about giving her a print of the composite that she did (from two photos that don't work together) is that once she receives the photos you don't know what she might do with them (based on her rude and inconsiderate behavior so far). She could end up showing them as your work, your idea, and complaining about how bad it is, etc.

Maybe tell her you don't offer composites or that it wasn't part of the package she bought, etc. Or if she has the option to order prints, show her (again) what the choices are, give her a deadline, then provide the photos she paid for and be done with it. There are situations where if you give someone an inch they'll take a mile, that will keep pushing, etc. and at some point it's necessary to be firm and clear - here are the options, here's the deadline, that's it.

I don't think personally I'd provide photos that weren't my style, or my work, etc. and if this one doesn't generate print sales, chalk it up to experience and move on. (If she's a $30 shoot 'n burn type photographer herself, how much is she going to spend with another photographer on prints anyway?)

Well this afternoon we were supposed to meet with this client. We were not going to be at our studio but this morning when she asked to meet we rearranged our schedule to suit her. She never showed up. 2 hours later she messaged that she wasn't going to make it. Something about her daughter being sick. We really enjoyed wasting more time on this.

I think we will have to tell her we are just not the right fit for her,refund the session fee and move on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back