How to determine exact settings...

DanV1317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Semi-new guy here trying to figure out how many pictures you guys will take of a certain subject trying all different types of aperture/shutter speed/iso settings to get a decent picture?

Can alot of people just go out and know exactly what to put their settings on and just take one picture? For example, would you go to the zoo and take 15 pictures of the same tiger while changing the settings each time and hope one of the pictures comes out awesome?

While i am really starting to understand the shutter speeds/iso/aperture, i find it hard to believe i'll ever look at a subject and know exactly off the top of my head the exact numbers to put each setting.

I've seen a bunch of great pictures on these forums where people will list the settings they used. How many actual pictures do you think the person took though before they got that one great picture and how many times do you think they changed the settings in the manual mode to get there?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Also, how often do you guys use the point and shoot? If you were to go out taking pictures of a bird at the birdfeeder, would you set it for automatic point and shoot or would you adjust settings in manual mode?

If you start using Manual solely for your shooting mode, you will soon learn to get in the ballpark pretty quickly. It really depends on your subject, lighting and intent.

They more you shoot, the easier it is to determine shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Practice, questioning and some reading is the surest way to start nailing them. I will try multiple exposure settings based on what the cameras meter is telling me. It's prbaly safe to say that most digital shooters will chimp to get "the shot".

You WILL get to that point where you look at the scene and can eyeball the shot. You'll figure you want shallow depth of field, so aperture wide open, but not TOO open cause the sweet spot on your lens is 4 stops above max, and it's getting darker so to reduce shake you'll up ISO etc etc etc....

It just takes time, shooting those 15 shots to get the "one", to LEARN the direct path to where you want to go. Time and practice...time and practice.

I still shoot a few, even a bunch, in certain situations ;)...and heck you should of seen me trying to figure out exposure/focus on my first moon shot the other day. Hahhahahah - in minus 25 celcius no less.

One more thing and others may disagree. If you learn to shoot fully Manual, it will be easier to grasp the Av and Tv modes. My opinion is that they are the only three modes to shoot in and have the control that a dslr offers.

Lastly, this book, Understanding Exposure is worth a read or three.

Have you ever read Understanding exposure by Bryan peterson? It gives you assignments in it that help you understand this concept. Understanding how to expose a picture the way you want it only comes with experience. So don't get frustrated. The best way to learn is by the way you were doing it. Snap away until you get what you want, then you go back and look at what the setting were to get that shot. The next time your in that situation you will know where to start. But if you haven't read that book It's a great place to start. I just bought my sister a copy and in 2 days she was shooting 200% better.

This is why your camera has a meter. Even in manual mode your meter can help you to determine a ballpark exposure for your image.

I picked up the book this morning at Borders. It is amazing how easily he is explaining everything. It makes like 1000000 times more sense. I'll be sure to post some pictures when i really get going. Thanks guys.
Dan

When you are on time restricted assignment you will be forced to do the unimaginable. No one pays me and I do it when I feel like it, so that is the difference.

The card in your digital camera now can store hundred of pictures. And if you are not happy with them you just delete them and ready for other shots. Go out to the back or front yard and start practicing with different setting of your choice. After each shot change the setting one click or one stop or one step. Soon you will know what is what, trust me.

You will know what picture from what setting once you start clicking.

Experience is my best teacher, always. Soon it will be yours too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back