How to export images?

JR.Foto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey there [emoji4]
I am a beginner in photography [emoji991] I wanted to ask what is the best way to export my images in the highest quality? These images will be uploaded in my Facebook/ Instagram page. JPEG, PNG, etc.
Thank you ![emoji177]

Sent from myView attachment 154523 iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
100% quality jpeg, 4:4:4. What software do you have?

Thank you for responding- I have a Mac & I use both softwares since both are very different: Abobe Lightroom CC2015 & Adobe PHOTOSHOP CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In practical terms 90% quality jpeg, sRGB colour. The 4:4:4 or 4:4:2 downsampling choice won't matter too much.

Great thank you for responding

The Quality value determines the image file size.
For online display a low Quality value works just a well as a high quality value as far as how an image looks.
The primary benefit of a low Quality value is the small file size. Smaller files load quicker and are less likely to exceed a web site's maximum file size limit.

Using Ps CC, after setting the Save options (like the Quality setting) I make sure I go Edit > Convert to Profile so I can set the Destination Space Profile to sRGB IEC 61966-2-1:1999, the Conversion Options Engine to Adobe (ACE), and the rendering Intent to Relative Colorimetric. I also put check marks in the Use Black Point Compensation, Use Dither, and Flatten Image To Preserve Appearance boxes.

Last edited:
The Quality value determines the image file size.
For online display a low Quality value works just a well as a high quality value as far as how an image looks.
The primary benefit of a low Quality value is the small file size. Smaller files load quicker and are less likely to exceed a web site's maximum file size limit.

Using Ps CC, after setting the Save options (like the Quality setting) I make sure I go Edit > Convert to Profile so I can set the Destination Space Profile to sRGB IEC 61966-2-1:1999, the Conversion Options Engine to Adobe (ACE), and the rendering Intent to Relative Colorimetric. I also put check marks in the Use Black Point Compensation, Use Dither, and Flatten Image To Preserve Appearance boxes.

IMG_7014.JPG

Hi thank you so much for the advice. Here is my final image but when uploaded to FB it looks a little grainy. I will try your suggestion. & let you know how it goes

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Export an image for the size of the platform it will be hosted on. Don't let Facebook/Instagram to run their own compassion algorithm. They will kill any sharpness the photo had.

In LR make an Export preset that uses the maximum recommended image size for each site (I have two presets for FB - one large and one small). As zombiesniper noted, they will compress if you export to the largest size possible and then upload.

.. when uploaded to FB it looks a little grainy.
It looks pretty good here in your thread. I think FB did that to you. Maybe FB is not the ideal place to share your photos.

One thing I never liked about Facebook & photos is that they don't seem to leave your image alone... when you upload it, then seem to re-sample it (probably to save space) and the quality seems to be reduced. This is not something you have any direct control over ... it's on their end.

My guess is the "grain" you refer to may be that loss in quality (possibly artifacting) resulting from their re-sampling/compression.

Facebook has it's place for social purposes... but they don't seem to be so great when what you care about is preserving photographic quality.

There are other photo sharing platforms that do preserve quality (e.g. 500px, Flickr, etc.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back