Status
Not open for further replies.

CollinLongshanks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an image (attached) that I believe has been edited. I have ran it through Photo Forensics, and another program, but I'm not sure how to interpret the information. It would appear that all EXIF data, date, day, time, and location are also erased. Is there anyone out there than can give me some solid evidence and reasoning as to what has been changed and is it possible to restore? I am purposefully leaving out some details because I don't want to influence your opinion in either direction. That said, if there is information you need, feel free to ask and i am happy to share. I truly appreciate your time and help. This is for a court case (I'm not an attorney, just a regular guy who can't afford the fees professionals have quoted me. Your opinion doesn't have to hold in court, I am using it as a starting point for further my own investigation, but if youre an expert, hey, all the better. lol

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 62
To start, is this an image you've taken or own the rights to. If not then you can't post the image, you can only post a link to the owners site.

Depending on the format or size restrictions of the image file, the EXIF can get stripped. If that happens it's not retrievable.

That's a big ask! Hire a forensic expert. That, of course, costs--professionals with any standing/credibility don't usually work for free. Free legal advice is often worth exactly what you pay for it...

Last edited:
To start, is this an image you've taken or own the rights to. If not then you can't post the image, you can only post a link to the owners site.

Depending on the format or size restrictions of the image file, the EXIF can get stripped. If that happens it's not retrievable.
I own it.

That's a big ask! Hire a forensic expert. That, of course, costs--professionals with any standing/credibility don't usually work for free. Free legal advice is often worth exactly what you pay for it...
First, I didn't ask for legal advice. Second, Professionals of all types routinely do free work for those who can't afford their services. It's called pro bono. Its not a big ask. It would take less than five minutes for someone who knows what they are doing. I wish there were one here.

• Haha
Reactions: cgw
What changes do you suspect were done? Knowing that might help one determine if that's what has been done to it.

My biggest questions would be: If this is indeed your image, why do you not have the 'original', And again, if it is indeed your image, how can you not know if it's been edited?

have an image (attached) that I believe has been edited

Then if you own the own the image (The original file, not a copy) you should know if it's been edited. Or are you trying to determine if someone edited your original? If that's the case then the original is your proof that someone edited the original.

There are two types of editing one is "non destructive" as performed by Lightroom and similar parametric programs and "destructive" as performed by Photoshop and similar raster programs. Edited images in LR can be restored of edits if you have the catalog, or the edits were saved to XMP. In PS you would need a PSD or tiff file to show layers. In either case once an image is exported it's my understanding that the exported copy is no longer recoverable.

I own it.
Then you should know if it's been edited, where we can only guess. As previously mentioned, compare it to your original or backups. If you don't have them, good luck.

Is this about the cars plate? Like the plate might of been altered?
Thank you for actually trying to answer the question!
That's definitely part of it. Also, the shadowing, and lack thereof, the window looks to have been blurred, there are several little 'specs' above the hood of the car and to the left. Also, where is the tow truck? Why is the plate all lit up, but the emblem remains dark and there's a shadow on top of the bumper? The rear backup 'sonar' ports (some people will read this and will come away with "that's not sonar")! are partially blurred, the one at the far right of the rear bumper is totally missing, and there should be a square tow hook cover on the far right of the bumper.

I'm confused. This is YOUR photo, but you weren't there when it was taken?

Why do you expect us to know about a tow truck? It appears the vehicle is on dollies, so an ordinary pickup could be pulling it. There is a vehicle on the other side... you can see it's headlights/worklights splashing under the vehicle. It could be the tow driver is simply using them to prep the vehicle for transportation.

I can't see what 'specks' you're referring to. The 'shadow' at the top of the bumper is due to it being horizontal, as opposed to being vertical and therefor more reflecting of the camera flash.

The license plate is made of highly reflective material by design. There is no mandatory reason for the emblem.

As for all the 'blur', that's just camera motion. The 'missing' back-up sensor and tow hook cover could be due to the low resolution of the image itself.

So......From what you have asked I can't see how this could be your picture, your car maybe but not YOUR picture and I hope the mods address this....... If this is a court case if there were questions about the plate, if it were somehow involved in a murder case the state would bring in a forensic expert but if it's a DUI case they would not go to that extent.

I can not speak for anyone but myself, but most likely everyone would feel a lot more comfortable about this if you told people what was up what was going on. It seems a bit shady that your like well this is a picture kind of used in a court case and thats all your going to say....Murder case, DUI , hit and run, bad Uber Eats delivery, what????

I have not read all the posts but If you have the original the in ps you can use layers and overlay one on top the other. Using the transparency slide you can see any changes.
I use this method when doing panoramas to get alignment

If this is, in fact for court, get a lawyer (or a public defender) and give them the photo as well as the full story, rather than posting something on a forum and not giving any real information. Let the experts handle this.

This thread is going nowhere, and I doubt we can can really help. Locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back