how to found out F.stop on a lense?

Lee_Maryland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have purchased a used canon zoom lense from a flea market, and the lense reads 17-85mm with macro. How do I found out the F. stop on the lense?

Look around the front element.

got it. Thanks. Its F4-5.6

You guys think I can take a picture with a blurred background, if I set it to F4.0 and aperture priority? Or I am better off buying a prime lense with a lower F stop?

Take a picture of something quite close-up, with some seperation between it and the background. Should work.

If you want a blurred background chances are you'd be better off using it at the long end (85mm), even though that necessitates using f/5.6. The key is to have a large distance between the subject and background, relative to the camera to subject distance.

A lot of it depends on what you are shooting and distances. Here is a picture I took with a crappy 75-300 lens at f5. The pic is not great but you can see what the background looks like.

JPEG_19169283885.jpg

Yeah you can blur a background very easily with telephoto lenses, and in particular at macro distances.

This photo was taken at 100mm and f/16, yet the depth of field is still so small that the behind legs are still quite blurry. This is because the lens was only a couple of centimeters from the subject, so anything more than a couple of centimetres behind it starts to get pretty blurry (to grossly oversimplify the maths).

5225002235_b93d10a2a9_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back