How to get permission to take portrait photos around abandoned places.

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have seen some very compelling portraits that were taken in abandoned places. My question for the forums was how I can get permission to take photos outside of these places. I live near a bunch of small towns and there are some nice old, abandoned houses I would love to use as a backdrop for some portraits.

I do not need to go inside the house, but I would like to use the side of the house as a backdrop.

I was just wondering how I could find out who owns the property and secure permission to photograph there?

Thanks a lot!

In the US, just go to the local county records office.

Re post 2.
Er, is that how you are supposed to do it. So you mean to say
keeping a look out and being able to run fast is Not the way to do it lol

Assessor and or Clerk's office should have it.
In many areas you can look it up visa vie online.

I think 480sparky suggestion is a much safer bet,Some places abandon or not you may be arrested for trespassing. I know some abandon mental hospital are off limits and strictly enforced where one will be arrested going past any posted signs which is not worth it. Would really suck doing a paid shoot where the photographer and the photographers client both go away in cuffs.One client less for future work.LOL

I think 480sparky suggestion is a much safer bet,Some places abandon or not you may be arrested for trespassing. I know some abandon mental hospital are off limits and strictly enforced where one will be arrested going past any posted signs which is not worth it. Would really suck doing a paid shoot where the photographer and the photographers client both go away in cuffs.

Most places can't just up and arrest you for trespassing right from the start. The property owner or agent therefor has to demand you leave and give you the opportunity. If you refuse to leave, THEN you can be arrested.

Posted signage is considered notice.

I know it’s better to ask, you mentioned about being arrested, pos true for civil property. However, the armed forces have a different approach.
Esp when you are wandering about what seemed at the time a disused a navy base, taking pictures.
Some very polite men in uniform and their guns, turn up and ask you to go with them.
Er no I don’t want to was not an option
I had a very interesting few hours, was allowed to keep photos after a long chat and their viewing of my images.

Seems that I had wandered too far from the section that was being decommissioned and into a section that was still at that time active. I was polite and showed the route I had taken using the photos as reference points.
Explained my interest and reason for the photo, #i was doing an Open University course#
Sent on my way, I did notice within a day or so that the temp fencing that had sections missing was replaced and notices
To keep out and no photography were put up.

Kotami, I suggest you always take a dog with you.
When you start shooting just turn the dog loose!
When you get caught, just tell the guy/cops/whoever, that you're just looking for your dog then hand the guy the leash and say, "when you find him, bring him back so I can get the heck outa here because I don't want to be here either but in the meantime I'll be right here shooting"!!! LoL
SS

Yea brill idea, only my two dogs will look see that the camera is out and sit until I am finished ......

This is not just driving down the road, spotting and interesting building, getting out and shooting a few pictures.

If one is going commit theirs and another person's time and equipment to a project, it would be best to take a few minutes to check the county records or even the local sheriff for information on the property owner.

Even if the property is abandoned, it is best to check with any close neighbors. Country folks do not ignore "strange doings" down the road.

It is true that the odds of having an issue are pretty slim, so it comes down to are you willing to gamble.

Sounds like a bad idea to take clients onto abandoned property. What risks someone wants to take with just themselves and their camera I guess is up to them. This isn't just take a quick step out of the car and take a picture, this is setting up a photo shoot on someone else's property.

I agree, living out in the country, you notice somebody around who doesn't live in the area. Having worked in the city, you don't know who's who or what's what and can't assume anything other than it's nuts everywhere, and be aware of your surroundings.

Look up property listings on whatever county office handles property tax, etc. and get permission/property releases signed before you take clients someplace.

Reactions: TWX
Sounds like a bad idea to take clients onto abandoned property. What risks someone wants to take with just themselves and their camera I guess is up to them. This isn't just take a quick step out of the car and take a picture, this is setting up a photo shoot on someone else's property.

This makes sense. What a lone person with a camera does may be simply written-up as curiosity exploration and the photographer told to get lost, but if there's a model or a client then suddenly it's more than that.

Most reactions

Back