Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The full frame camera bug has bitten.

Do I "NEED" one? No.
Will it make me a better photographer? No.
Will it make me happy? Why yes, I believe it would!

Currently have a Canon t3i with the following lenses:

18-55 'kit' lens EF-S
55-250 EF-S (with image stabilization)
60 EF-S 2.8 macro 'prime' lens

28 EF 1.8 prime lens
75-300 EF zoom

If I trade out the crop sensor T3i, I need to trade the EF-S lenses too, right? No go with these lenses in the FF format without trickery?

I assume the EF lenses stay workable, but the telephoto has no image stabilization, which I really would miss.

I'm a hobbyist that grew up shooting 35mm film, so it would feel right at home to get back to the full frame experience (no more 1.6x converting in my head!).

Canon 6D? Used 5D Mark ii?

Net of trade, can I get this done under a thousand?

EDIT- if putting ALL the gear on the trading block and starting fresh is the logical play- I'm not opposed to Nikon, in fact that was my drug of choice in the 70's! It's Ford/Chevy to me- no clear winner, just means to an end.

Buy an older, used camera.
EF-S lenses will not mount on EF camera bodies.

Nikon DX lenses will mount on FX bodies - D700, D3, D3s.

Buy an older, used camera.
EF-S lenses will not mount on EF camera bodies.

Nikon DX lenses will mount on FX bodies - D700, D3, D3s.
Yeah- I thought about a used D610. Nikon makes such a nice camera!

I have a t3i and just bought a 5d mki for $330. So far is a trade up. Just need better lenses than the 2 I have now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Will it make you happy? No.
End of story.

P.S. If you, as you say, do not need it (just like 95% of amateurs out there) , if it will not make you a better photographer, then why do you think spending your hard earned money on a big heavy black box with several buttons and a big round hole will make you happy???

It is a genuine question btw. I just find that buying "serious stuff" when you do not need it, is some sort of a therapy that never works.

You can get into the FF Market for about $800 if you buy a used D600. Giving you still one of the best sensors, currently, on the market.
Agreed.
A used D600 is the most cost effective Nikon option for full frame. I have two of them, both purchased used, and have been extremely pleased.

On the Canon side, you can look for deals on the 5DI the 5DII.

If money is an issue and 1k$ your limit, then don't do it.
You might get a Nikon (don't know for Canon) FX body with a basic lens for that money.
This is likely not to make you happy and will require you to buy extra (expensive) lenses.

If your budget is close to the double, then you might consider the move.

Will it change your photographic style: yes, if you make the effort to learn all the features of your camera
Will it make you happy: eventually, but not due to the camera body, but due to your improved photographic style (see paragraph above)

End of story.

P.S. If you, as you say, do not need it (just like 95% of amateurs out there) , if it will not make you a better photographer, then why do you think spending your hard earned money on a big heavy black box with several buttons and a big round hole will make you happy???

It is a genuine question btw. I just find that buying "serious stuff" when you do not need it, is some sort of a therapy that never works.

This.....this.....this......is what you need to read and heed. Buying a FF camera when you don't need it and thinking it will make you happy is not at all a good program. The exception, of course, would be that you have a bank account like Mick Jagger.....then by all means do it up right.

Is the equipment you currently own limiting your ability as a photographer? I've owned a 600D (T3i) and I got tremendous results with it.

Forgive me but your reasoning for this purchase is not sound at all. But, at the same time, it's really none of my business. However, you did ask.

I've always believed that you buy better equipment when your current kit is somehow limiting your abilities.

Just some thoughts based on experience.

The one BIG thing people seem to forget is with Canon you have to buy the more modern & expensive lenses.

With Nikon, you can buy older pro lenses. Manual focus lenses, screw mechanism AF & AF-D lenses. You can get some nice and super sharp "starter" pro lenses for $99.

No need to buy a modern built-in lens focus motor, no aperture this and that lens. You can save significant money on a Nikon body and get into FF without breaking the bank. And those same lenses work on certain DX bodies too (with certain caveats).

I own both a DX crop d7000 and a FF d600. Love the FF .. it's just nicer. I enjoy photography more with it, I really do. All the neighsayers will say that I'm wrong and such .. but there's other ppl on this board when they went to FF it really accelerated their creativity. Of course, you can be creative with any camera. There's just something different.

If money is an issue and 1k$ your limit, then don't do it.
You might get a Nikon (don't know for Canon) FX body with a basic lens for that money.
This is likely not to make you happy and will require you to buy extra (expensive) lenses.

The D600 plus the ~$50 24-105mm is fantastic.
or the ~$200 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G.
or the ~$200 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G.
or :insertaplethoraofcheapoptionshere:

you don't have to buy expensive lenses, FF or Crop. Why would a basic lens not make you happy?

The other approach would be to keep the body you have, but put some money into better lenses, starting with the ones you use most. You'll probably see a bigger improvement in IQ for the same or less money.

The downside to using EF lenses on a crop body is that the field of view is greatly diminished.

This.....this.....this......is what you need to read and heed. Buying a FF camera when you don't need it and thinking it will make you happy is not at all a good program. The exception, of course, would be that you have a bank account like Mick Jagger.....then by all means do it up right.

Is the equipment you currently own limiting your ability as a photographer? I've owned a 600D (T3i) and I got tremendous results with it.

Forgive me but your reasoning for this purchase is not sound at all. But, at the same time, it's really none of my business. However, you did ask.

I've always believed that you buy better equipment when your current kit is somehow limiting your abilities.

Just some thoughts based on experience.
End of story.

I don't "need" the T3i, but it makes me deliriously happy. Getting great images is my passion- not my livelihood.

I get awesome images from my iPhone 6, but I hauled my DSLR and a bag full of lenses all over Yellowstone this summer taking pics. This was not necessary- I did not need to do it- but it made me happy. I shot everything RAW, and had hours of fun working with my favorites in photoshop. I didn't 'need to do that either.

I'm rediscovering the joy of photography and I ran into limitations last year with my Nikon D40 that forced me to upgrade to a more modern DSLR and I was amazed at the advances in tech. It's really improved my IQ. I'm just interested in getting a bit more data/image to work with.

So getting a 'better' camera than the T3i is REALLY something I don't 'need', but if I can spend $1000 and get an incrementally better image next time- then yes I would like that. Not sure why that offends.

I've been shooting since I took a college course in photography in 1978 and I actually already know that a few of the images I captured on my Canonette Giii viewfinder camera were superior to the ones I took shooting SLR thru Zeiss glass.

I'm also a wannabe musician, and I didn't 'need' an American Fender Strat to compose and perform music that speaks to me, but that's what I bought 15 years and I'm SO happy that some guitar know-it-all didn't talk me out of it on the premise that a better guitar would never teach me how to be a better musician.

Of COURSE you've gotta pay your dues and learn your craft. Do you think I believe that I will become a 'better' photographer with new gear? I know that I won't. Might some of my images have better properties though? Of course.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back