How to go about selling bird pictures?

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Starskream666, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Nevermore1

Nevermore1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm no pro but I think you need to get an appropriate lens and get out and practice more before you think about selling. I'm on my cell phone and the shots look slightly blurred. In the first one the bird stands out pretty well but the blurred branches in the foreground are very distracting. The second and third ine you have to look for the bird amongst all the branches and dead leaves. There's definitely some potential but at this point I can say that I personally would not pay for photos of this quality.

2. matthewo

matthewo Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    its tough to sell bird photos. I cannot say I have put a lot of time into marketing prints, but I do have accounts at the 4 top stock photography sites, it sure takes a long time to get your portfolio big enough to make any decent money, i make maybe $10 a month on one site with my 100 photos, once, you get a good big diverse portfolio of all subject maters then they can make some ok extra money, but you will end up spending the time of a full time job on doing it to make anything decent.

the best bet would be to probably try to sell prints and work at getting full frame shots in good light at low iso so the print quality will be good, spent a lot of time getting the shot you want and edit it well for best print quality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm telling you how it is Robins will not sell Kinfishers coming out of the water with a fish in their beak will, I'll find a member at our clubs flickr, sorry but there are not many on here man enough to tell you the truth

• Like Like x 1
  4. gsgary

Photos OK to edit
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.” - Robert Capa.
    Your photos have to be lots better than the average bird photos out there.

Then you need to market your work so people know you have images they can buy.

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Those are EXCELLENT images Gary, and sadly, I'll bet that not many of them would sell either. Why? Because the market is so saturated with wildlife images, that there's no more room, unless you are truly exceptional. Good wildlife photography, especially birds is probably the most expensive genres in photography, other than perhaps high-end fashion. The one serious bird photographer I know has more money invested in one body and two lenses than I have in my whole kit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gsgary

Photos OK to edit
    He does sell quite a few but I wouldn't think enough to pay for his new 600F4 lens

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Starskream666

Starskream666 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Why did you take that so personal but expected me to not take what you said personal haha no need to attack the images. A lot of yours looked grainy and a lot of them had birds blurry so i couldn't see their details etc. I just like to do and see different things, like the pictures i took, in my head the idea and how i made them turn out with the colours etc worked in my head. Obviously not to others taste here and I appreciate that people don't think they will sell, and on further looking i dont think they would sell to the traditional buyer either.
    If you want more traditional then I took these a while ago... Unfortunately the only birds I have around here are seagulls and this 1 Heron, and the Robins. IMG_0463.jpg IMG_1363-2.jpg IMG_6522.jpg

9. Didereaux

Didereaux Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

You have been given a lot of very good advice, and honest critique from everyone...you choose to ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  10. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OP,

You may not want to hear this, and I have no dog in this fight because I don't shoot birds, but nothing I've seen that you've displayed is of quality, interest or singularity that would make me think it is salable.

These are example shots, done by a friend of mine, he has hundreds; you may not like the highly edited style but he doesn't expect to sell these - there is just too much really top quality work out there.

Stephen Talabac - Central Maryland Photographers' Guild

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    PEOPLE Behave and lets leave slinging mud at the door shall we.

There is NO rule that anyone must accept what is told to them on the site. Each person is left to their own choice as to who they do and don't listen to. If someone isn't listening to you chances are you're saying it wrong. Try saying it again a different way or walk on - no need to get offended.

12. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Okay folks, let's tone it down. WAY down! A number of us have repeated more-or-less the same advice to the OP; there's no need to keep beating that particular horse. Any further comments of a rude, or insulting nature will earn the poster a Christmas vacation from TPF.

• Agree Agree x 1