How to hand hold telephoto lenses?

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I know this isn't "nature" specific but i hope it's fine being posted here. I'm just wondering how you all hand hold your lenses for the sturdiest, shake free shots? I know the basics of tucking into your body with your arms, but i've seen people make a V with their index and middle finger's bent to support the lens, i've seen a flat hand, etc. What do you find is best, even with Image stabilization? And how low of a shutter speed can you hand hold to personally?

I am lazy. I use a tripod.

As to hand-holding, it depends on the display size. The larger the display size, the higher the shutter speed required.

I am lazy. I use a tripod.

As to hand-holding, it depends on the display size. The larger the display size, the higher the shutter speed required.
I have a tripod with a ball head but i move around way too much to lug that thing around lol

Use a monopod then.

Hand hold down 1/320 regularly, on occasion down to 1/100.
I hold out at the end of the lens where all the weight is. It is also easier to control movement holding out near the end of the lens. This does mean the outstretched elbow can't be held against the body but if you keep it vertically inline with the lens i.e. no chicken wing, you can hold it quite steady.
I know the shot is a joke but this is how I handhold this lens.

Wildlife Training by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr

This thread also shows how I hold.

My dad in winter camo

Notice the common theme among all the long lens users here?

Great for sports but people tend not to fly over head.
Works great for anything flying overhead with the addition of one of these.
Actually it doesn't
If something moves from the distance to overhead you'll have to lift up the monopod /tripod up or you'll have to move on the ground. It the subject stays in the distance then it works fine.

Notice the common theme among all the long lens users here?

Great for sports but people tend not to fly over head.
Works great for anything flying overhead with the addition of one of these.
Actually it doesn't
If something moves from the distance to overhead you'll have to lift up the monopod /tripod up or you'll have to move on the ground. It the subject stays in the distance then it works fine.
Apparently you have never used one. Tall monopod with a gimble head works great for overhead moving objects.

I have used one. Didn't like the extra weight. Still had to lift it off the ground to shoot straight up. Don't use one now.
And how did you like lugging the weight around all day to get a shot? Remember I didn't say Monopod. I said TALL monopod. Mine goes to 78" (6'5") to the platform. The Wimberley adds another 9.5 inches. All I have to do is pivot on the spot.

I've used one. It's now sits somewhere in the basement.

I guess it all depends upon how you use it, how the subject approaches from what distance to what other distance and how you shoot. I've found it pretty much useless and just hand hold the camera for what I used it mostly for.

If I'm shooting birds flying on a river always in front of you where your angle to the subject doesn't change much, then it's perfect.

Approaching aircraft or approaching birds that you get flying towards you, then overhead and past, or anytime you have to move quickly to change your visual angle, then not so much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back