How to hold 2 cameras?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When you go out with 2 cameras, and need them both readily accessible, how do you hold them? I can't seem to get it right, comfortably...

Cam 1: 40D/grip/70-200 2.8
Cam 2: XT/grip/17-85/Flash

It seems like a silly question, but I simply can't figure it out!

Yip Normally I have one over my shoulder and the other around my neck

Yip Normally I have one over my shoulder and the other around my neck

I worry about the one over my shoulder falling off.. maybe I can get a sticky strap of some sort

I like to have one camera on my hand, with a short strap. I wish I had a battery grip so I could attach a hand strap. The other one is either around my neck or around my shoulder with a long strap.

I have two of the 'TFP' straps which works out well for this because of the way they can unclip. I take out the neck pad part of one strap and clip the short ends together for a wrist/hand strap on the camera. Then I add the neck pad part to the other strap on the other camera, which makes a nice long strap for around my neck & shoulder.

I worry about the one over my shoulder falling off.. maybe I can get a sticky strap of some sort
Put it over your head and across your chest/back...rather than just over one shoulder.

One on a strap... hanging at my side with the strap long enough to cross my chest/back to my opposite shoulder. Another camera on a VERY short strap... just enough to wrap my wrist in.

Normally shoot with one in hand with the strap wrapped around wrist just in case. When its time to shoot with the other, I let the in-hand camera hang by the short strap from my elbow. Then I reach over and grab the camera at my side and slide/pull it up to my view.

Hope this makes sense... hard to explain and far easier to do when the cameras are not too big.

I put both over my head and one arm through (one on each arm obviously) I bought straps that were a little longer than the canon ones and adjusted from there. I usually shoot a 300mm 2.8L or 70-200 2.8L with a 85mm 1.2L. The larger lens is always on a monopod and its the top strap over my neck. Now since I use the monopod I keep the 85mm in front of me as much as possible so the monopod doesn't swing around and pop the second camera.

I have both camera on each shoulder, if they slip my elbow alwas catches it. Though if your wearing body armor there is button straps on the shoulders, it seems like it was designed to hold cameras.

the body with the 17-55 and flash is neck strap straight down so that camera rests against my chest and the body with the 70-200 and flash is by a neck strap with my head and left arm is through the strap with camera resting down by my left hip. Both flashes are power by a battery pack on a neck strap with head and right arm through the strap so that the battery rests down by my right hip.

If you put one camera around your neck (whichever you are more likely to shoot with more) and place the other camera on your right shoulder, then if it slips your elbow will catch it b/c the hand will be on the other camera.

I've used one of those sleeveless vests replete with pockets front and back, many padded plus several and stout rings. From the rings I fasten a 'security strap' to the cameras so I can drop a camera and grab another without having to worry about the first falling below my waist. It also pays to invest in inch wide nylon straps and plastic pinch-quick-connects and camera holster bags to mix/match for the day & stay as hands-free as possible. I remember having one vest which could hold a lightweight tripod on my back. One of the vests was a Bazooby, don't remember the other.

I have a POTN strap (can I say that here?). Holds the camera on my shoulder pretty well. Most of the day my arm is in use and forms a curve that would not allow my camera to fall off.

Never been any problems and I've shot quite a few events and weddings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back