How to improve my Convention photography

Jubbs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a Nikon D80 so I can do some nice photography of the conventions that I go to (I attend a lot of them). I just came back from my first one and I have made a lot of discoveries.

The way I hold the camera vertically sometimes shows a shadow on the bottom, and the flash is not very bright. Wish the lens could go further in and back, and was a little faster.

My question is what is some good general equipment for conventions? I feel like I need a much better flash and lens. What do you guys recommend. Also what is an affordable bag to carry the stuff in?

What is your price range? I mean, ideally a 24-70 2.8 for indoors, and maybe a 50mm 1.4 (the sigma is a great 50mm prime, maybe even better than the nikon), and a Tokina 11-16 2.8 for UWA, (The tokina is probably the best UWA on the market for crop bodies right now). And for a flash, the best would be the SB900 for a nikon flash, but a SB800 and SB700 would most likely be fine. Unless you want off camera, which at that point you can get a strobe, battery pack, and a light modifier (be it an umbrella or soft box, etc).

But what we do need to know is your price range. And how big of a convention. I mean, if it is a large venue, you may want a 70-200 2.8 as well. Granted, those are all expensive lenses, so let us know your price range for a more detailed and specific response.

If you are getting a shadow it is more than likely your hood this normally happens when you go wide on the telephoto. A flash will raise the light above the camera to prevent that shadow.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Yes, the shadow is the lens hood. When using your pop up flash at 18mm, the hood can cast a shadow. For those types of shots, remove the lens hood, or preferably, pick up an SB600/700/800/900. For the type of photography you are doing, a flash will make a huge difference. Do some reading over at http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/ on bounce flash, and you'll see a world of difference in your results.

Thanks guys for getting back to me so quick.

Ok so, this specific convention was medium (a larger small convention). But I also am going to PAX East and AB and Otakon, etc. My price is (preferably) under 500, but the lower the much better. Remember that I'm a Joe Schmoe. I don't have a good job (I work at the cafeteria in my college and a pawn shop). Also I am not doing anything major, just uploading them on Flickr, I am hoping to become somewhat popular so that I can give people a card after I take their pic. I figure that the person spent a lot of time making their costume, they would want to see it.

Also its not the hood, I don't have one (lens hood), it was a used camera. I think its where my finger is, but either way an external flash would be great. As far as lenses go, I need to do research on the recommended lenses. Also Sigma sounds interesting, I have heard of them but how are they? I am assuming a nifty fifty would be better than a lens than go between 50mm range.

Also another topic. I heard about the D90 but it is twice as much as what I got the D80 for. I know that it is an improvement and I respect that, but for my usage would it be worth it? Also, is the video camera functionality worth it? Does it zoom in with the lenses I buy?

Most reactions

Back