How to increase saturation naturally...?

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems like I always have to use editing software to increase saturation and thus bring out the "natural" colors of the picture. How can I do this whilst actually taking the picture? Settings perhaps?

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

Settings would probably help. If you haven't already, read the manual and see if there are settings like "vivid" or something similar and play around with them to see how the various settings affect the photo. Also, pay attention to your lighting. Bright, harsh light tends to wash out colors. Indirect/diffused or ambient light might help a bit. Also, make sure the exposure is correct. Overexposure also washes out colors.

It might also help to post some example photos with the EXIF data. That way folks on here can see what your settings are and give suggestions if they see areas for improvement. That might also help us see if it's an exposure issue or lighting, ect.

Reflections. Many thing reflect light ... light reflection adds to the color of the object.

A lot of vivid color landscape images are taken on overcast days.

A CPL filter will primarily saturate blues and greens. how much it saturates them will depend where the Sun relative to the image sensor plane.

Slight underexposure will saturate colors, but it will also make image noise more visible.

I wonder if the problem is actually poor contrast? Do you have a 'protective' filter on the lens.

cpl, flat light, Velvia...

Settings would probably help. If you haven't already, read the manual and see if there are settings like "vivid" or something similar and play around with them to see how the various settings affect the photo.

These settings affect only the JPEGs generated by your camera and are no different from editing the shot in the computer - save that you have less control in camera over the settings and that they all apply globally - to every shot and to the whole shot.
Sometimes you will want less or more of an effect and also might want only certain areas to benefit from it - these are things you can't do in the camera *you can change the amount of the effect - though it will slow down your shooting a lot* so its best to leave this to editing where you do have control over the effects.

Also remember that photography involves editing and processing to get the final result - so don't dismiss all editing as failing in the photo taking stage - though do of course continue to improve your photos - better starting photos give you far more to work with and use in editing later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back