How to learn to take people pics?

zedin

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What routes do folks suggest for learning how to do people pictures. By this I mean the whole range of portiat sittings along with events. I have for the most part always done nature photography but want to expand my skill set. I have toyed with the idea of volunteering for a studio but not sure if this really works or not (mainly thinking due to insurance/workers comp issues if something happens.. I know thats why nobody can volunteer where I work). As a graduate student I don't always have the most time but am wanting to learn.

So.. any suggestions? :)

There are a lot of different ways to work, from the very controlled studio environment to the more chaotic street. I prefer to do events where it's expected that there's a photographer there, but to just blend into the background and observe, grabbing what I think is the right moment. Any ideas what general area might interest you?

But regardless of how or where, I think one of the most important aspects, controlled or no, is learning to see. As obvious and generic as it sounds, learning to see the light, and how it works with your subjects, is key.

markc said:
As obvious and generic as it sounds, learning to see the light, and how it works with your subjects, is key.
Absolutely.
The key to all Photography is understanding, using and controlling light.
Do that and you can photograph anything.
With people, the only skill you really need is learning how to handle them.
Good rapport is 99% of the skill.

You could try contacting a model agency, and seeing if there are models that would do a shoot for free. Of course don't put it like that, you're helping build their folio and they're helping build yours. I've only ever shot one model, but that's what i did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back