How to photograph golf clubs???

I have bought and sold around $10,000 worth of golf clubs on the Internet, and I have always found that taking photos outside in the sun with some type of natural background is a better way to sell clubs than not.

But, Mike, what type of natural background should I use? I like a flowering plant of some variety, or a green or tee box. If you don't have regular access to a golf course, call a local club and see if they'd let you come out and shoot some clubs on their property. The worst they can say is no.

If you're stuck in the studio, soften all of the lights in the boxes as much as you can. Golf clubs are absurdly shiny, and that creates some problems. Not being completely sure what you're selling, I'd also suggest taking some shots of the shafts because that's nearly as important as the head of the club. I hope it works out well, and that you have a terrific go with it! I'd love to see some of your finished product!

I realize that the OP may not have the "professional" experience that others have on here, but isn't that the beauty of the internet. To be able to ask other people in a community for advice and help. The OP is trying to better himself and learn something along the way. Obviously the OP has the intuition and drive to make his photography more appealing, and I applaud him for that. What I don't applaud is the "jerks" that have just continued to post "hire a pro". Offer the man some advice or just don't comment at all. Didn't your mothers ever teach you if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all!

Thank you for digging up this old dead thread.

Thank you for becoming a TPF member.

You're totally wrong, but that discussion is best started in a new thread.

...you need to mess around with the position of the lights.

I know what you mean, but let's just position the lights where they need to be forget about "messing around."

I would also use a CP filter to cut down on reflections from in the club (if there are any).

Why would you want to do that?

-Pete

Put them where they need to be? You learn by trial and error....at least I do...plus trial and error might help him stumble upon new techniques he likes. He's getting shadows with 4 lights....so he needs to play around with the position of the lights to make it better....if he knew where to place them off the bat, he wouldn't be posting this topic here.

Why would you want to cut down reflections? Personally, I wouldn't like a photo that has a shiny set of golf clubs with the photographer, or his desk, or his cat, or anything off camera being reflected in the clubs. A CPL might help eliminate some of those reflections so that the image can focus on the clubs rather than a reflected customer or photographer.

Thats why you use flags and good positioning of lights to cut out reflections

Most reactions

Back