How to pose a plus size woman for Pregnancy shoot??????

Kerplunq

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It has been a looooooong time since I posted on this site. I missed you guys :D

SO, my wife is 5 months pregnant and I am faced with a fairly tough task. Pregnancy photos.

She is a plus size woman and her showing isn't as clear as thin women. After many google searches and book searches, all the "plus size" women that are used as thick as my thigh lol.

Trying to find some flattering poses, to help record such a huge time in our lives. Any help is more then appreciated :D :D :D :D

Thanks all

Bathtub, with green- or blue-colored bath salts added to the water looks nice much of the time. Reclining poses look really cool, and the water gives the option for motion-blur effects, temporal effects, "fun" poses, splashing, etc, and with the right amount of water in the tub, the pregnant belly can be shown above the colored water, which makes a fairly obvious reference to the belly. The nice thing with this is it's EASY to replicate for a later, about six- to ten months photoshoot with mama and the new baby in the tub! (This is from personal experience with doing this as described.)

Another option is the 'fade to black' where you have a black ground cover & background and drape the subject with some black fabric and then use lighting to accentuate the areas you want (face, belly) and allow the rest to fade into the background.

"Use the light, Luke!"

Right on, I'll give both ideas a try. Thanks :D

You might also ask her what poses she'd like to have. She may not have any preferences but you need to ask and keep asking.

The only answer I get is, "I just want some belly photo's" /sigh

You might also ask her what poses she'd like to have. She may not have any preferences but you need to ask and keep asking.

The only answer I get is, "I just want some belly photo's" /sigh
So, treat her like any client who doesn't know what they want (aside from "nice pictures") and tell her what she's going to do!

See woman plus size maternity online store for inspiration ?
Also what about an opaque tight or a legging, or something that will tighten the area but will just make the belly appear rounder.
If she wants a naked belly shot, isolate the belly, use lights.
upload_2015-10-29_12-46-28.png

And some Pinterest Inspiration
https://www.pinterest.com/search/pi...term_meta[]=plus|typed&term_meta[]=size|typed

Last edited:
See woman plus size maternity online store for inspiration ?
Also what about an opaque tight or a legging, or something that will tighten the area but will just make the belly appear rounder.
If she wants a naked belly shot, isolate the belly, use lights.
View attachment 110632

Oh my freaking god, THAT'S BRILLIANT!!!!!! I never thought of online plus size maternity stores. I just did random google searches and got like skinny girls with a tad curve.

My photography focus has always been landscapes and inanimate objects, my people photo skills are lacking lol. Trying new subjects is always fun, but its a tad stressful when you have never shot anything like it before.

Did I read correctly that she's only 5 months along?

No wonder she is hardly showing! From my understanding maternity is best captured around week 35. Plenty of belly, but not so much that it's hard for mom to pose. It a great to start researching now, but I'd hold off on the shoot!

Most reactions

Back