How to position softbox on boom arm?

JB, I too shoot commercially but a boom arm is something I just don't use much. I have learned to work without one. I try not to design shoots that call for one. Good suggestion on the magic arm, never purchased one either, hence some pretty rube goldberg tinkertoy creations. I try to be able to make light changes quickly and often have extra lights already mounted and in my last studio had some permanently mounted for bg lights. What do you use the boom are for most frequently? Would be great if that beast got more usage.

mrca: For me, tabletop product shots nearly always require a boom, it’s my go to to hang a light over the table. Essentially, any set up where I need a light over or in front of the subject it gets boomed, I dislike mounting the light on stands if I am required to peer around them or compromise the shot because the legs are in the way or the shot.

On a recent shoot I mounted my BD on a boom and the fill light on the floor stand, I also used a fan for hair effects which was mounted on a stand. The boom and floor stand offered uncluttered advantages as the subject was in motion with the fan blowing and allowed me to place the fan anywhere I needed.

A gridded head backlighting the subject (in this case a product) is also another application where a boom is handy since a stand would have been in the shot.

My lighting supports are used only when they achieve the look I am after, right tool for the job so to speak. Thus my kit includes a variety of grip gear.

JB, thanks for the insights. I do little product or full length so not as important for me. But I definitely see an advantage for the light over the table. You could position it behind what ever you use as a back ground and keep the sides of the table as useable as possible. I will keep it in mind as I am getting ready to sell some gear and like to light it myself for the photos.

mrca, you are welcome. My avatar is an example of overhead illumination I shot using a medium soft box and lots of reflector cards. Shiny steel sees everything and controlling how much spill in front and behind the subject can be measured inch by inch, a little OCD if you are into that, ;)

Yes, I use lots of white and black cards when shooting product. You must have much patience to shoot product. Unfortunately, didn't have time and didn't think the movers could move my black plexi 3000 miles without scratching it so need to purchase some here.

No black plexi used in that shot, black velvet background to absorb all the light spill. Loads of white cards, some flags and wire diffusion frames to control the highlights.

I can usually get by with a 4’x4’ surface unless I need a cove, then 4’x8’ laminate, paper, cloth or plexi does the job.

JB, I could tell that was black velvet, I never leave home with out mine and gaffer tape. I used the black plexi for reflection shots like this. Darn $70 piece I left in CA knew they would scratch it.
50 mm wb.jpg

A quick follow-up... Here is one of the use cases I mentioned, where I am using it with a medium soft box to light the background. It's nice being able to light from above for more even lighting with the stand out of the way.

20180604-DSC_7986a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

Good use of a boom for your application. It may be some barrel distortion of the lens but make sure your boom is balanced with the counter weight so the forces are pushing straight down the stand and not bending the stand extensions.

Good use of a boom for your application. It may be some barrel distortion of the lens but make sure your boom is balanced with the counter weight so the forces are pushing straight down the stand and not bending the stand extensions.
Thanks! It's a little of both - I shot this at 17mm so there's some distortion, but I also used the bare minimum weight in the sandbag for it to not fall over - a few flashlights and a tape measure if I remember correctly... I have a $2 bag of gravel/stones on my Home Depot shopping list.

If you are handy, there are a few DIY sand bag plans on the interweb. Make yourself a longer sand bag filled with play sand and sling it over the stand collar above the legs for added stability.

A quick follow-up... Here is one of the use cases I mentioned, where I am using it with a medium soft box to light the background. It's nice being able to light from above for more even lighting with the stand out of the way.

20180604-DSC_7986a
by adamhiram, on Flickr
Dude! More sandbags for the bases of your stands! 5 lbs for background stands. At least 10 on the boom and light bases, maybe more; you have a fair bit of weight up in the air.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back