Is it worth switching camera systems again for one little but sort of important thing?

Nikon seems to be falling behind imho

Nikon may be, in the short term, but you have to look at this stuff over a longer period.
Development R&D is not FAST, nor is spooling up manufacturing.
Everybody has spurts and lags.

Nikon seems to be falling behind imho

I don't necessarily agree. Some will see it that way, some won't. Nikon isn't as big as Canon or Sony. They are not pumping out cameras every week like Sony is. Nikon is one of the very few photography companies left solely making cameras/optics similarly to Fujifilm. I support them more and its less stressful knowing that when you buy a Nikon, there won't be a new model next week 🤣

I think Nikon Z system is highly underrated.

I don't necessarily agree. Some will see it that way, some won't
I concur. I know several people who switched systems over the years - either to try something new when changing from SLR to mirrorless, or because the photography or event company they worked for preferred a particular brand of equipment. I don't know of anyone who regretted switching. I also don't know of anyone who was ecstatic about the change. Most just looked at it as a tradeoff between known benefits and shortcomings, and a learning curve to get used to the new controls and menus. The one exception I've seen is people switching to Sony, who seem to never look back until they discover that one feature they needed, and are then grateful they held onto their D800.

I had the opportunity to switch when I moved from SLR to mirrorless, and planned on selling my old Nikon gear and replacing everything. I test drove a few bodies from Nikon, Canon, and Sony, and still preferred the Nikon. I had some initial complaints about the Z6, which I documented in the threads below, but most of them were either addressed with the Z6II, or I just figured out how to work with them.

For years I used the both the Fujifilm XT2 & XT4 cameras which had the ability flip the screen for vertical shooting at lower angles. The XT4 however had the ability to also flip out to the side to get all sorts of angles including facing front of the camera for vlogging which I liked and when I had that camera I made more videos because it was so much easier setting up.

Now that I switched to Nikon Z mirrorless system which I do like for the most part, the screen on my Z6II can only be pulled out for low horizontal shooting or above your head. I know it sounds silly but hear me out, once you had a screen where you can flip out and use all sort of funky angles without needing to your jeans covered in dirt or grass stains, man it's kinda nice haha. I'm not going to lie. Yes I know, film photographers didn't have this ability - I get it, I do. But if the technology exists to make it easier, why not? Anyways I digress.

I been wanting to get back into making YouTube videos again and not having the screen being able to flip to the side face toward me to see check framing and focus, its kinda hard shooting video blind. I know this can be remedied by getting an external monitor and mounting it on the hot shoe but for me, I just want to keep it simple, minimal and basic.

It's a tough decision to make because I have switched camera systems very often...and I've only had the Z6II system for a little over a year and here I am thinking about selling it. I've pretty much tried all camera systems except for Canon! Perhaps Canon will be better for me? Maybe I should give Sony a second try, but I really didn't like their cameras but I do like that their mount is smaller so the lenses are smaller but they just never felt good in the hand.

Does it make sense to switch my camera system just for that? Because I don't know if I really want to go through the painstaking process of listing all my stuff for sale AGAIN. Quite honestly, Nikon gear doesn't seem to hold value like Fujifilm does, heck most Fujifilm cameras sell used more than they cost new. So I know if I sold my Nikon Z kit, I would be losing a lot of money and that's kind of where I am stuck because I have really good equipment that far exceeds my skill but at the sametime, I don't do a lot of photography these days either but it's nice to have the ability to take high quality photos & videos too so it's like what do I do?

I know...I sound like a broken record. I am broken so it's to be expected coming from me 🙃

For years I used the both the Fujifilm XT2 & XT4 cameras which had the ability flip the screen for vertical shooting at lower angles. The XT4 however had the ability to also flip out to the side to get all sorts of angles including facing front of the camera for vlogging which I liked and when I had that camera I made more videos because it was so much easier setting up.

Now that I switched to Nikon Z mirrorless system which I do like for the most part, the screen on my Z6II can only be pulled out for low horizontal shooting or above your head. I know it sounds silly but hear me out, once you had a screen where you can flip out and use all sort of funky angles without needing to your jeans covered in dirt or grass stains, man it's kinda nice haha. I'm not going to lie. Yes I know, film photographers didn't have this ability - I get it, I do. But if the technology exists to make it easier, why not? Anyways I digress.

I been wanting to get back into making YouTube videos again and not having the screen being able to flip to the side face toward me to see check framing and focus, its kinda hard shooting video blind. I know this can be remedied by getting an external monitor and mounting it on the hot shoe but for me, I just want to keep it simple, minimal and basic.

It's a tough decision to make because I have switched camera systems very often...and I've only had the Z6II system for a little over a year and here I am thinking about selling it. I've pretty much tried all camera systems except for Canon! Perhaps Canon will be better for me? Maybe I should give Sony a second try, but I really didn't like their cameras but I do like that their mount is smaller so the lenses are smaller but they just never felt good in the hand.

Does it make sense to switch my camera system just for that? Because I don't know if I really want to go through the painstaking process of listing all my stuff for sale AGAIN. Quite honestly, Nikon gear doesn't seem to hold value like Fujifilm does, heck most Fujifilm cameras sell used more than they cost new. So I know if I sold my Nikon Z kit, I would be losing a lot of money and that's kind of where I am stuck because I have really good equipment that far exceeds my skill but at the sametime, I don't do a lot of photography these days either but it's nice to have the ability to take high quality photos & videos too so it's like what do I do?

I know...I sound like a broken record. I am broken so it's to be expected coming from me 🙃
There are ford drivers, chevy drivers, and mopar drivers. Who's the best? Most posters here will tell you about the benefits of the brand they currently use (sorry, but it's the truth). and why they stand by them. Figure your needs and wants, go to a camera shop and put "brand X" in your hands. Most manufacturers are making a fine product these day with different abilities, can't afford not to.
I recently changed from DSLR to mirrorless, from a brand I had been shooing since 1965!! No regrets, sold the older stuff, took a beating. but am thrilled with my new rig. Also sold a Leica M10 for which some members of another forum said I'd "Sell you Leica burn in hell!!" None the less, I'm happy with my choice, Do what suits you and only you.
Happy shooting whatever you do.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back