how to prevent a blown out sky?

Too overexposed, underexpose and check white balance. Other in camera settings like constrast might, might not make a difference.

These are overexposed because you are shooting people in the shade and expecting the background, which is bright sunlight and brilliant sky to be correctly exposed.

Get under a much larger tree, don't have the sky as a background, shoot late in the day when the sky isn't so bright and all your troubles will disappear.

But first, read about exposure in the links above.
This problem is produced by the photographer not understanding exposure.

Lew

I am shooting children and families. I usually have my ISO at 400 with an apeture of 6.3 sometimes I use an apeture of 4 depending on the look I want. Then I meter for the shutter speed. I think sometimes I go over the meter just a tad because it helps brighten up my image in my camera rather then having to do it in photoshop. I just don't like the way photoshop makes the image look when you brighten it up there. Let me see if I can get a picture posted to show you what I mean.

You should definitely youtube search the title I suggested in my above thread. It literally discusses how to avoid the very troubles you're having. What...you're still here...go watch it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked with a professional photographer and she recommended that I shoot at 400 when shooting outside. So that's what I've been doing.

It's better to know WHY to do something, than just doing what somebody tells you to do.

I worked with a professional photographer and she recommended that I shoot at 400 when shooting outside. So that's what I've been doing.

There are times when ISO 400 is perfect for outside.. and there are times when other ISO's are appropriate! Look at your meter... decide what apertures and shutter speeds you want to use... and then adjust your ISO to match (or vice versa!)

If you have no flash (better avoid the built-in one) you can get nice shots outside using a reflector. It is a "must have" ;)

Meter for the sky and use flash to properly expose the subject...

It's better to know WHY to do something, than just doing what somebody tells you to do.

Absolutely
And you can usually tell how much someone wants really know, as they will usually ask more questions or follow up.
In this super age of instant gratification - Some people just want to know what switch to flip and when that isn't the answer..........well, you know....

I have an external flash that I use for indoor stuff but I like the natural light better. When I worked with the photographer she recommended the ISO for the time of day and the look I was going for. She had told me she uses 400 90% of the time. She also recommended that I keep my cameral on manual mode and just play with the settings until I get the look that I want. So I just kept the ISO at 400 and played with the shutter speed and apeture. Now I have the look I want but I just wish I could get the sky to look like a blue sky in my pictures. I do lower it as needed but like I said in my previous post I like the photos to be brighter and I prefer not to brighten them up in photoshop. I'm also a beginner so I'm still learning which is why I'm here asking questions.

Neutral density filter, 3-4 stop do the job really well in really bright days, and a good flash or 2.

You want a blue sky? you need to setup to get that blue sky and light your subject to balance your subject and the sky or the ambient.

Last edited:
If you don't like the blown out sky for a background place your subjects into a background you do like.....or learn to use flash.

It is often not possible no matter what your settings are to expose the people properly and not blow out the background without using flash (maybe a reflector, but then you have bigger problems).

If you shoot late in the evening you may have a better chance, you can shoot with the light in their face and then possibly not blow out the sky.
You can do this midday also but the light is to harsh.

It is acceptable to blow out the background if you are shooting natural light....or as I said pick better backgrounds.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back