How to protect an expen$ive lens

I use filters since I spend so much time in the woods and don't want to risk a branch touching my glass. In the past year I've ruined maybe 3-4 cheap filters, IMO cheaper that replacing a lens. The cheap filters were giving me a problem with glare so I bought some coated ones $$-$$$ and they work like a charm plus I baby them.....maybe now I don't need them anymore?

1. No. Never have, never will.
  2. I have seen differences in others images, none to the better. many don't loose anything
  3. Yes. Increased flare, loss of contrast as the major light source approaches the lens axis, unneeded expense. Unfortunately, Nikon is not top-of-the-line when it comes to 'protective filters' but at least they're 'clears'. I have seen lens objectives scratched by the shards from a broken 'protective filter'. I believe I even posted a link to a thread on another forum about that happening to a photographer.
You might consider the lens design was not optimized for having a filter hung out in front of it, not even a polarizer. Sometimes the benefits of using a polarizer out-weigh the negatives.

First, thanks for responding.

I assume that you have many lenses, and I bet some were quite a bit more than $1200. So I am asking, do you protect yours in any way? Or just hope for the best?

Is the only reason you don't use it because of the IQ affects?
Hope for the best? WTF is that? Pardon my french.

There are right ways and wrong ways to handle your gear. Don't handle your gear in the wrong ways.

The only reason I don't use 'protective filters' is: I've seen no credible evidence that they protect anything, anecdotal evidence without empirical data is virtually useless.

They used to be useful, image quality wise, on film cameras. With the advent of digital that usefullness went away. Promoting their use on digital cameras today is a successful marketing ploy that keeps the sales numbers pumped up.

do you protect yours in any way? Or just hope for the best?

How many of your current lenses have been broken due to your negligence?
None (I hope)?

Whatever you're doing seems to be working - keep doing it.

plus I baby them.....maybe now I don't need them anymore?

You probably don't.

I don't baby my gear (but I don't abuse it either)...

If you exercised the same caution on the lens that you use towards your new, more expensive filters, you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Most reactions

Back