What's new

How to remove red fringing?

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
543
Reaction score
2
Location
New Zealand
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am after a little advice on the simplest way to remove the red fringing seen on the rocks and tree line?

A method for Paintshop Pro X2 ideally, however I am sure I could adapt photoshop tips as well.

psp01img9855.jpg


C&C welcome, I thinks its ok (for the style I shoot) but lacks something really special, my wife however really likes it.
 
Too hard basket?
 
Did you shoot with RAW format? If yes, use the software that shipped with the Canon EOS camera (Digital Photo Professional) to remove chromatic aberrations (CA)
 
The "red fringing" is not a sensor based CA issue, thus it can't be fixed by using the CA adjustments during RAW conversion.

The cause is largely flare with possibly a small amount of lens based chromatic aberration (a totally different animal than sensor based CA) that results in some of the very deep red (near IR) to not focus at the same point as most of the rest of the spectrum. This slightly out of focus light records in the red channel. It is normally quite dim and of little effect, but when such an extremely bright sky is against such dark foreground objects there is enough of it to be visible.

The only fix is to create a very accurate mask and then darken the masked area of red fringing.
 
What I do is (if you have photoshop) go to filters, distort, lens correction, and then adjust the fringing levels. OR... I also go to hue/saturation and choose the color and turn the saturation and lightness down. I'm sure there are better ways but that's my method.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom