How to roll a Black and White 36 ex. roll of film

Reaction score
Hi, my name's Lydia and I was wondering if you knew how to roll a 36 ex. film (35mm) on a plastic reel??? I have rolled 24 ex. but never 36. I'm not sure if the 36 ex. will fit on my reel! But I don't want to go w/ the steel reels for fear I'd burn my film....

Should work fine, just a few more clicks. Make sure the reel is completely dry or it will stick midway.

I throw my reels in the oven on warm for about 5minutes. Never had a 36 exp. stick since I started doing this, used to happen all the time. Even when the reels had been sitting for a couple days. Now my turn around time between runs in less than 10 minutes.

Hi Lydia, wow this is first opportunity to reply to anything as I've just joined only minutes ago. saw your question and thought, why not give you some help. I'm in Australia but imagine you would use the same gear as I do, though as I'm now completely digital haven't rolled a film for quite a while.
Using Patterson plastic reels are somewhat difficult to load a 36 exp, but the others answers you've received are applicable. I always used stainless steel reels, loaded from the middle of the reel. A little difficult if you've never done it before, but with experience the best way to go and much faster [leave the sticky bit on the end of the film and that can then be stuck on the back when you come to the end of the roll] I have over many years loaded probably thousands of rolls this way. Trust this helps. regards, Philip.

One thing to do is waste a roll of film and practice in the day light. Then once you get a good system going. Make sure you can do the whole thing with your eyes closed. I have always rolled 36 shot film on to the plastic rolls and have never really had a bad time. I did learn to hold my fingers around the reel to help keep the film from snagging on its way around the reel. I also round the corners with scissors for the film leading edge. I would think since you have experience with 24. 36 will not be a problem.

redneckdan said:
I throw my reels in the oven on warm for about 5minutes. Never had a 36 exp. stick since I started doing this, used to happen all the time. Even when the reels had been sitting for a couple days. Now my turn around time between runs in less than 10 minutes.

What kind of reels? And why do you put them in the oven, or, what stickiness does putting them in the oven remove?

If the tracks in the spirals are wet (or even damp) the emulsion on the undeveloped film will stick to the reel & jam whilst loading.

I sit mine on top of a radiator to warm/dry them before use.

I beleive my reels are pattersons. Plastic. I put them in the oven to remove any moisture on the reels. My last run of developing was in the winter, my apartment has boiler heat, humidity is always near 85%.

Pattersons are horrible. They always jam on me.

Once you learn how to wind the steel ones, you never go back.

I use the Patersons premium model they are the ones with fingers on each side of the reel. They help to stop the film blowing in middle. There are the only one I can load.

I need some help with photographing car/semi-truck/truck. I'm not sure where to beginning. I want to not only photograph people but learn to photograph vehicles as well.

What do the books mean by "lines" with a car?
What kinds of angles are appealing?

I have never seen a 24 exposure reel, but that does not mean they do not exist.

I have used the same Kindermann stainless steel reels for almost 40 years and I doubt I will ever have to replace them. Unlike plastic, you can't drop them, because if two reel halves ever become misaligned due to falling, they become worthless. You can try to realign them but it's nearly impossible. I applaud folks who can work with plastic reels, I have never gotten the hang of using them, I always wind up with some film sticking together!

One thing I have found with stainless steel reels is that they dry more quickly than plastic.

Rolling 36 exposures onto a reel is no different than rolling 24, you just have to be a little more careful that you continue to roll it straight on the reel.

Thanks for the thread and the info. I am awaiting to run through my first roll. (I should have some professional darkroom help by then)
Good information.

I probably shouldn't tell this to anyone
so don't tell anyone else

I was about halfway through a roll of film when I noticed the rewind was moving freely so I went into the dark and opened the back cover to see why the film wasn't advancing.

This film had to be really defective because not only did it not advance from the can but it wasn't in the camera at all,
In fact it was on my desk!
and I had taken about 16 exposures!

Most reactions

Back